Bowl blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Bowl blanks

I've been doing all my bowl and hf turning from green wood I cut myself so I've never actually bought and turned a bowl blank from the wood store so please forgive my ignorance. I was given several blanks bought recently at Wood World in Dallas. Do I assume these blanks are dry enough to turn to finished or do I rough them out and let them dry awhile? I don't have a moisture meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 09:57 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
The advice I was given: if the blanks are waxed, treat them like green wood, otherwise assume they are dry enough to finish-turn.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I would wait a week or two only because want blanks to get happy in new envirnoment. Will always wait week or two before turning when bring wood from wood shed to inside shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
What Duncuss said. If the blank is completely waxed, it most likely isn't dry. This applies to most of the exotic woods. Some stores like Woodcraft will stock flat boards in 12/4 size (3"). The flat stock is dry, so you can buy a length of that and cut your blanks out of it.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 5 Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, if wood completely sealed in wax consider it wet. Any time get wood from unknown source consider wood will be wet. Wood completely sealed in wax, moisture cannot get in or out, wood dries through evaporation. So needs air circulation to lose moisture. Wood will gain and lose moisture throughout its life based upon relative humidity or lack of it in an area.

You have an option of scrapping wax off sides, leave wax on end of blank, set for awhile to reach EMC or rough turning it and setting aside to dry before final turning.

Which method, scrap and wait or rough turn pretty much a roll of the dice. Things to help you decide: species, thickness of blank, whether easy hard to dry, grain orientation, amount of heart wood to sap wood, closed or open grain and density of wood etc, some things to think about.

Most domestic wood would rough turn, exotics would want to wait till learned more about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode