Blank drying question? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Blank drying question?

I know this question has probably been asked numerous times, but I am cutting some blanks for future turning from green wood. Do I just need to seal the endgrain or the whole blank? If I have a piece with the endgrains, and then another endgrain on the side where a branch was growing out, should I seal that too? All I had was candle wax around but I am going to get some paraffin wax. I know a lot of people like to use Anchorseal, but I don't have any and know where to get Paraffin wax. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 07:11 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
we at my club have started to turn green blanks, and putting them in a bin full of dry saw dust or microwave them .But we use to just seal the end grain as thats where it will move ,split ,crack if it is going to if you wish to turn green look up a bloke called Richard Raffin he turns all his blanks green

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I seal any endgrain areas with wax or Anchorseal. The wax seems to make the pieces last longer before checking. The best thing to do is get them out of direct sun and wind. Those two factors seem to speed up any checking tremendously whether you seal them or not.
I use an old electric skillet to melt the canning wax and just dip the ends in the wax. If it's a bowl blank and I think it will be a while before I get to it I roll the whole thing in the wax. I have save bowl blanks for year or more this way. They are stored in myshop out of direct sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode