About a year ago, Dave Paine sent me a block of black locust. I rough turned it while it was still nice and wet, then set it aside in a paper bag to dry out.
It was ready to finish turn several months ago, but I only got around to it in May. What had started out as "a bit on the hard side" dried into something "a bit on the granite side" -- plus it had a nasty way of tearing off long splinters as the end grain turned around. I tried several different tools, all freshly sharpened: shear scraping, pull cutting, carbide tools, the lot ... sprayed with shellac, oiled it ... nothing seemed to fix it, so I ended up treating it with a lot of 60 grit.
I found it interesting that the inside gave me much less hassle -- or maybe I'd finally figured out how to deal with it.
Anyway ... I gave it several coats of Watco Danish Oil (till it built up a film) and let it cure for a week. Today I buffed it with tripoli / white diamond / carnauba wax.
Thanks for the opportunity to turn this piece, Dave -- it wasn't easy, but I enjoyed the challenge and have learned some new techniques.