Best way to make 3.5 inch mini frisbee shaped discs. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

View oregon duck's Photo Album My Photos
Question Best way to make 3.5 inch mini frisbee shaped discs.

I am wondering how to produce small wood discs that have a rounded profile edge and also have a recessed underside. what would be the most efficient way to produce multiples?

Last edited by oregon duck; 01-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Get really good at turning ;-p

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
If I were doing it ... between centers, I'd turn a long blank into a cylinder the correct diameter for the disks. At one end, I'd make a tenon that can be gripped tight in my chuck.

Mount the cylinder in the chuck by the tenon. Bring the tailstock up for support and to ensure it's square in the chuck before clamping down fully.

Remove the tailstock. Turn the profile of the underside of the frisbee (the recess) into the end of the cylinder, then start a cove to form the beginning of the top. Part that piece off and set it aside.

Turn another recess into the end of the cylinder. Part off another disk. Continue the entire length of the cylinder -- until finally turn a tenon (that will function as a jam-chuck) on the stub that remains in the jaws. Push the recess of a disk onto the jam-chuck, now you can finish the top.

Pop that disk off, jam the next disk on, finish it ... lather, rinse, repeat.

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (01-31-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
You didn't say so I am going to make the assumption these are from 1X4. I would mount between centers, round, and turn a small tenon and shape the outside. Reverse in a chuck and shape the underside with the slight hollow. Then use a friction chuck and reverse again to remove most of the tenon, sanding off the small remainder.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 11:07 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I'd do it all with a router with a bowl cutter, using an MDF pattern.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #6 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Vacuum chuck. Turn the inside, reverse on a vacuum chuck and turn the outside. You can't be aggressive doing this because 3 1/2" isn't that much space for vacuum which is 14lbs per square inch maxium. However I bring up the tailstock for the roughing part and then pull it away for the finish cuts.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon duck View Post
I am wondering how to produce small wood discs that have a rounded profile edge and also have a recessed underside. what would be the most efficient way to produce multiples?
Personally I would like more info. Never like getting a 1st time poster asking questions with little detail but it always happens. I'm assuming you have a lathe but how much experience do you have? What chucks and tools? What size disk and what type of wood?

I/We usually like to get a intro from the new guys first so we can welcome them to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
I'd do it all with a router with a bowl cutter, using an MDF pattern.
Gene he posted in the woodturning section so I'm assuming he has a Lathe. How much knowldge and experience is a question since he is a new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Get really good at turning ;-p
Good advice sawdust. Personally I have trouble making duplicates of anything. I'm a original man myself everyone different.

Don't they have duplicators for the lathe.

As for everyone else, A lot of good ideas but what if this guy is new at it and is more confused now then before.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 02:29 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
... but what if this guy is new at it and is more confused now then before.
then he'd be in the same boat as me but with a better excuse

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
The Following User Says Thank You to duncsuss For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (01-31-2012)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Ahhh..so. Richard. I use the "New Posts" button and didn't catch which forum.
Still, If I wanted identical duplicates, I'd still use a router and template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Personally I would like more info. Never like getting a 1st time poster asking questions with little detail but it always happens. I'm assuming you have a lathe but how much experience do you have? What chucks and tools? What size disk and what type of wood?

I/We usually like to get a intro from the new guys first so we can welcome them to the forum.

Gene he posted in the woodturning section so I'm assuming he has a Lathe. How much knowldge and experience is a question since he is a new guy.

Good advice sawdust. Personally I have trouble making duplicates of anything. I'm a original man myself everyone different.

Don't they have duplicators for the lathe.

As for everyone else, A lot of good ideas but what if this guy is new at it and is more confused now then before.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #10 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

View oregon duck's Photo Album My Photos
Yes very confused... the router idea is more attractive since I don't have a lathe. What is a bowl cutter? I have collected many tools in the last 40 years ( i'm 64) don't have bandsaw or lathe. I do have shaper and routers, mostly work in cabinetry and remodels of homes. No lathe experience. Bruce
post #11 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I also assumed you had a lathe. The best way to make rounded discs is with a router. make one jig to cut the outside, and one jig to round out the inside. the use a V block on a router table to round over the edges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode