best and most versatile chucks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

View D. Frana's Photo Album My Photos
best and most versatile chucks

I'm looking to buy a chuck and want to get the most versatile one I can for projects ranging from small boxes to large bowls and boxes. I need suggestions on a chuck that offers a variety of jaws and attachments, in short, one chuck that will pretty much do it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 AM

View doug1980's Photo Album My Photos
Barracuda from PSI is a good chuck. Not sure if you are looking for a chuck that has options available or options that come with it. I bought the Utility Grip chuck from PSI that included #1 step jaws, #2 jaws, screw chuck and 8" jumbo jaws all included. Has everything I need to make bowls.

"There is no scrap wood, just pieces not yet used," unknown.

"I love the smell of sawdust in the morning," unknown.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 03:45 AM

View momomo6789's Photo Album My Photos
one chuck will never work out so pick a brand that seems good i would go vicmarc they have all the different jaw types grizzly has a cheap clone i own 3, i put better jaws on them they all have no runout :) and i use them much more often then i do my stronghold (permanent cole jaws) occasionally i will need ''5 jaws for coring but not often hope this helps you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 07:08 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
You will probably get quite a few answers for that question. I have Nova chucks (the supernova, SN2, and G3). In their line, for one that does it all, I would go with the SN2 on sale may times from $130-140. Not the most expensive, not the least expensive.
Here is a listing of available jaws all of which will fit the SN2. All jaws are interchangeable between chucks except for the largest jaws on the smaller chucks (midi chuck).
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ries/Index.htm
Mike
post #5 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I love my vicmarc's. I have used many of the chucks out there and the vicmarc's in my opinion are about the best. What I like most other than the wide range of jaws is the chuck key. The hex key is a common 10mm hex. You can buy one anywhere if you lose or damage one. There is another chuck on the market that uses these wrenches but I've heard stories from a couple of people where the key slot strips out. Never had the problem at all with my Vicmarc's. I have 4 of them, the oldest is about 8 years old.
I purchased one of the Grizzly copies and mine is OK. Not as smooth running as the Vic and it rusts easier but it works. I've heard about some quality issues with these chucks.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Oneway Talon chucks. Since I started with a mini lathe, I wanted something smaller and lighter than the Vicmarc. There are many options on jaws. I found after a while that I hated taking time to change jaws and now have 3; one normal, one with small spigot jaws and one with jumbo jaws for final finishing of bowl bottoms. Never had a problem with these in 3+ years so far.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 11:05 AM

The Vicmarc 100 is the same size as the Oneway Talon give or take a very small amount. You can get more jaw sizes for the vicmarc.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (04-13-2011)
post #8 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
What size lathe and headstock spindle TPI do you have now? Do you plan upgrading to a bigger lathe later on?

I like Nova, Oneway, and Vicmarc chucks because of accessories and ease in upgrading Chuck adapters (threaded insert they charge extra for) if you upgrade your lathe. These folks recommend their chucks based upon swing of your lathe. If you have a mini lathe want to pay attention to weight too! Tommy bar chucks little skinnier than single key chucks. Skinny Tommy bar chucks allow more space between centers.

Many folks do like Tommy bar chucks because feel you need four hands to mount stuff on a lathe. You can always put wood in chuck before mounting chuck on lathe, or just bring tailstock up for support while tightening.

I really like VicMarc and Oneway chucks because can buy just chuck bodies from

http://www.packardwoodworks.com.

I bought Talon body and Spigot jaws with adapter from them. I am afraid of snapping off jaw screws when changing jaws. I am not sure when bought my first Talon chuck.

At one time could buy Nova chuck bodies, just not sure of vendor today.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
....I have Nova chucks (the supernova, SN2, and G3)....Here is a listing of available jaws .......All jaws are interchangeable between chucks except for the largest jaws on the smaller chucks (midi chuck).
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ries/Index.htm
Mike
I have the G3 and I checked the site out. I was thinking about getting a larger set of jaws, but they don't recommend using the 5" jaws on the G3. Any ideas why not? The SN2 is only a little larger diameter than the G3 so I would have expected it to work. Can the G3 not handle the additional forces of a large blank and foot. If and when I get there, I was going to try 10-14" bowls with a 4-5" foot. Can't get there using a G3?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 05:08 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
DJG,
I stand corrected, should be "most" not "all".

IMHO, the reason they do not list the 130mm and 100mm powergip jaws for the G3 is because of a potential mishap.
Both the 130mm and 100mm powergrips are rated/listed for up to 29" diameter and the powergrips for unsupported blanks up to 6" diameter X 19" length.
If they listed these jaws for the G3 then surely SOMEONE WILL try to turn the 29 inches or a 19" unsupported form.

The standard 100mm is rated for bowls up to 14-11/64" and for a G3 so those may work for you and not push the envelope on the Nova specs at all.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM

You can get 5" jaws for the Vicmarc 100 I bought a set last year.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 05:59 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Nova 2. They are on sale right now for 139.00. Reg.189.00.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
DJG,
I stand corrected, should be "most" not "all".

The standard 100mm is rated for bowls up to 14-11/64" and for a G3 so those may work for you and not push the envelope on the Nova specs at all.
I understood what you had said. And I think you phrased it correctly in the first place.
The 100 mm is rated for the G3 but not the 130 mm (5").
I've got the step jaws now which give me a range out to 3.25" but I was wanting something bigger in the future when I do bowls etc with bigger feet without having to buy another chuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode