bent axle, bad chuck, or what? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

View tymann09's Photo Album My Photos
bent axle, bad chuck, or what?

So this is a bit of a tricky question. I've got an older craftsman lathe with a tube bed. I've been trying to turn a bowl. First off let me say i purchased a barracuda chuck system http://www.amazon.com/PSI-CSC2000C-Barracuda-Lathe-System/dp/B000KICC62/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1325638029&sr=1-3 this one. The first bowl, i mounted useing the screw chuck method, turned the outside and turned a mortised foot to do a reverse chuck mount, turned the lathe on, got a pretty substantial wobble, remounted it a few times. same thing. i thought maybe it was something with the screw. so i did another bowl, drilled a hole using a forstner bit, and then chucked it inside the hole, turned the outside and again did a mortised foot. and the same thing happened, substantial wobble. I don't exactly have access to another chuck and don't know anyone in the area who would have one i could try. any ideas on how to find out if it's bent without spending a fortune? unfortunatly i also don't have any spur centers, just the chuck. I'd rather not have to buy centers because they are a no. 1 morse and i'll be looking to uprade to a larger lathe in the near future which is a no. 2 morse. any suggestions would be great.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Make sure your bowl blanks are parallel front and back. I can chuck my screw up with the short 50mm jaws on and seat the blank against the jaws when I tighten it up so it stays square. Turn your tenon and when you reverse the mount you should still be pretty square.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Beasley For This Useful Post:
joesbucketorust (01-03-2012)
post #3 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
turn on your lathe without anything in the chuck and see if it wobbles.
i bet your blanks are just out of balance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

ok so, i don't want this to come out the wrong way, but i've turned over 50 bowls on 4 different lathes using similar methods wihtout fail. I rarely joint and plane both sides of my blanks prior to turning, it shouldn't matter if they are parallel or not (i don't use the tailstock) as long as i true up the bottom where the tenon or mortise is for the chuck to grip, it should be fine. like i said, i usually use the mortise and expand the chuck, i only go about an 1/8 deep sometimes 1/4 so the chuck bottoms out and squares itself out. it does appear the chuck wobbles slighty when there is nothing in it, but does this mean axle or chuck? i also feel that it's probably exagerated once there's a large piece of wood on it.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #5 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

Probably either the bearings or the axle then. Have you tried grabbing it and racking it back and forth to see if theres any play?
Another thing to try is to form the bowl bottom then unchuck it and rotate the bowl 90 or 180 and remount. If it's all square you will not see any wobble, if not it will exagerate the runout by double at the 180 position.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

gary, i will give both of those things a try. i didn't think to try racking it to see if there was play. I'll let you guys know.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #7 of 17 Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

alright. played with the lathe a little. there is a slight slight wobble to the axle shaft. i'm not sure if the slightness is enough to throw it off or not. as far as shifting 90 degrees, the wobble is all the same. i turned the end true, and shifted it and it was fine, reverse the chuck and it wobbles. i'm actually contemplating a new lathe. the Jet 1442. just trying to decide if i can justify buying it right now.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

Maybe you can find something good on Craigs list. Even that $200 lathe that Rockler sells is pretty solid, I bought one when I first started turning, bought another for my son, then got a Delta 12" midi. Still have the Rockler lathe as a backup.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

interesting about the smaller lathe. maybe i'll look into it for a temporary lathe. thanks.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #10 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Yea i got wood

buy the delta 46-460 its well worth it and wont break the bank
post #11 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

well, i don't WANT a mini/midi lathe i'd rather a full size one right now. i've got 2k that i can spend. my dilemna is that i'm moving around alot right now and a small one might be good for temporary use. if i got a small one, it would be a cheap one.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #12 of 17 Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

Both mine have the extension beds on them so they can do a 39" long turning just like many other full sized lathes. How big a turning you have a hankering to do? Main think these lack is horspower for chewing off large amounts of wood.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

interesting. i like to turn live edge, square bowls and other funky things. i've also done several 14" bowls. I've turned on 3 full size lathes and 1 bench top lathe, a nova which was a dream but i can't remember which one it was. I was figuring that the bigger lathe would be better suited for me but perhaps i'm wrong. i plan on turning alot too, not just every once in awhile. would a midi or mini lathe be able to get what i want done?

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #14 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Yea i got wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymann09 View Post
interesting. i like to turn live edge, square bowls and other funky things. i've also done several 14" bowls. I've turned on 3 full size lathes and 1 bench top lathe, a nova which was a dream but i can't remember which one it was. I was figuring that the bigger lathe would be better suited for me but perhaps i'm wrong. i plan on turning alot too, not just every once in awhile. would a midi or mini lathe be able to get what i want done?
the bigger lathe is meatier and will move around the shop less lol
you said you had 2 grand to spend so yea i would go for a full size lathe
the delta 46-460 is great for us on a smaller budget
post #15 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

yea, i wouldn't mind having a nice benchtop/midi lathe. i just figured that i can afford it right now (might not be able to in a few months) that perhaps i should go with a larger one so i can have more capabilites. i'll keep on thinkin

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

So if you get a full sized with outboard turning capability you will have the ability to turn most anything.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-06-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

good point.

-Tyler
www.TJGwoodworking.com

GOT WOOD?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode