Beautiful Collision - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful Collision

Here is a piece from one of my customers. His name is Phil English. His site is www.artfromthelathe.com He has been having some serious problems with his eyesight lately and had to have surgery, but hopefully he will retain good vision in one eye his doctor believes.

It would be a tradegy for a guy with his talents to lose his sight. Anyway, he told me people would either love or hate this piece with not much in between. Here, in relevant part, is what I wrote back to him after recieveing the image:

Phil,

Thank you for the picture. I think it's the color contrast that was hard to make happen in my brain at first. For me it was a collision. One thing is for sure, doing it the way you did makes one stare at it for long periods of time. Maybe that was your intent. Because I just kept looking at it trying to figure out what you are saying with it. And eventually I began to like it. When I first looked at it, my reaction was "Whoa! Geez. That is different. Do i like it?" so I had to keep looking at it because I coul dnot reject it out of hand as it was too - interesting. And so I kept looking . . . . and looking . . . until finally I said "It's growing on me. I think I actually like it." And not because it was my wood at one time. I can step away from that easily enough.

Name:  Beautiful Collison.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  12.6 KB

FYI I do not know what he named it, I have not got his reply back yet I just sent mine this a.m. but he had to have alrready named it because it was in his most recent show. So just to clairify Beautiful Collision is not actually the name of the piece. I'll post the real name when I find out, as he has not put it on his website yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM

View jpw23's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not really sure what i think of the piece....looks like a clarinet on a bowling pin. Can't say that I don't like it, just not sure what to make of it

Save a tree...eat a beaver!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 05:25 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
it doens't look as if the color match is a marriage by grace.

good shapes and height thou, I'd give him that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw23 View Post
....looks like a clarinet on a bowling pin.
That is such a great description.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
It sort or reminds me of some kind bird with it's head up in the air. I like the concept but have a problem with the joint between the two pieces of wood. Maybe if it was tapered and then cut off it might flow better from one piece to the other. Interesting concept. I think it deserves further study.
As a photographer I am acutely aware of eye problems. Hope he comes out OK.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
I thinks its a John Wyndham Trifid metamorphosing into a hypodermic , gives me the needle as i do like, i think the colours work great and the form is really good, if you look closley then you can see it breathing ready to spurt out its seads. But then im just an ordenery guy and i do like it, id like to give it a grop, i like to feel a piece get more out of it, okay im strange. Nice post. LB..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode