Beal Buffing System - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Beal Buffing System

Watched a video on bowl turning and the presenter said not to use the white diamond compound on black walnut as you would leave white specs in the wood. I did not see any warnings in the beal instructions. I am ready to buff a couple of black walnut pieces. Has anyone had experience buffing black walnut with the Beal system? Is it a concern?
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
The white compound will catch in the open pores and looks terrible. I use it but I finish my pieces with several coats of lacquer so the pores are partially filled and the white compound won't get in there.
ON walnut bowls I use a thinner finish and the pores are open so I don't use the white. Just use the brown bar and then the wax and you will be fine.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 06:43 PM

The white compound will catch in the open pores and looks terrible. I use it but I finish my pieces with several coats of lacquer so the pores are partially filled and the white compound won't get in there.
ON walnut bowls I use a thinner finish and the pores are open so I don't use the white. Just use the brown bar and then the wax and you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Good to know -- thanks for bringing this to our attention (and thanks John for answering, of course)

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM

I should have also said that you can have problems with the Brown bar when buffing things like Ash and Oak. If you do this accidentally you can sometimes save the piece using a tooth brush and mineral spirits. I'm don't believe you need to ask how I know this.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
Thanks John. The pieces I have to buff are pepper mills with a lacquer finish. I have 3 coats so I will use the white diamond.
Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode