Baseball bats! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

View Scal24's Photo Album My Photos
Baseball bats!

I've been woodworking for a few years now, only made a few things on the lathe (we have them at our shop at school) and I really enjoy it. I play baseball, and I'd like to start making bats. I'm looking for a lathe that will be able to turn a bat very well. It will need the length (and the power?) to be able to do that. I'd really like some suggestions on personal experiences, or what you all have heard for lathes that would work well for baseball bats. I would also be making other things, smaller things. I'd like to stay under $600 for the most part.

I read in someone elses post of this lathe, it seems like a decent beginner lathe, and with the extension will work with bats:

Lathe:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html
Extension:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12XB2.html
Tools:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html
Faceplate:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CF3J.html

The total for that is $637 + shipping. EDIT: shipping is $75... If anyone knows of a cheaper, yet decent tool set, that would be grateful. Otherwise, is there anything else I would need, or are there any other lathes that would work better for cheaper?

Thanks,
Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like a nice lathe but I have never used it.
Im not sure why you need a 3 faceplate when it already comes with a 4 faceplate. You should seldom need a faceplate for spindle orientation. A steb center would be a nice addition for about the same price as the additional faceplate.
Also check Amazon, the lathe is not available but the extension is $3 less with free shipping. When I purchased steb centers (PSI brand) they were $8 less through Amazon and had free shipping to boot. The one steb center I checked was $6 less and free shipping if the total order was over $25. IMHO, I would check Amazon and then offer PSI the same with free shipping. They have to be selling to Amazon for a lot less.
What about a faceshield or at least safety glasses?
Dust mask?

Maybe someone else can give you personal feedback on the lathe.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Safety glasses/dust mask is no problem. My family is into woodworking we have all the general equipment. Thank you for the input I'll definitely look into everything you said. If there is anyone else that could give any experience with the lathe, that would be helpful. I found a PSI steb center for $13. That's probably a better idea than the faceplate anyways. Thanks man. Things are finally coming together!

Last edited by Scal24; 07-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 04:02 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
This is also a link which you may want to check. It is a pen turners forum (I hope it is allowed here). Since PSI seems to be highly geared to pen turners there may be more direct users there.
http://************/3oy8euy

My only other observation is do you need/want the electronic speed control for spindle work? I have a belt drive and on spindles never change the speed. Even on bowls I only change it three times at most which takes about a minute each time. That said, the electronic speed control is very nice. The club I go to has 6 mini lathes (Rikons and Jets) and they are all belt control and are often used all day long. If you can get by with moving the belt you can probably pickup a chuck or other goodies for the same dollars.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed they sell the lathe/ext. bed combo for $50 less than the two items separate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode