Audio/video equipment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 11-07-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

View Neil Innes's Photo Album My Photos
Audio/video equipment

Our club intends to update the audio/video equipment.
We are considering a projector but not suer how to keep the light level low enough for a clear image, while providing enough light for the demonstrator.
We also are looking at hearing loops but unsure about how these can be integrated with a sound system, and if both can be operated from a single microphone.
And, overhead cameras. How are these supported?
I would be interested in anyone's experience of any of this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Put the screen for the projector off to the left of the turner and then use smaller spot lights on the lathe to illuminate the work and instructor. This way you can keep the room lights dim. It's also handy if you can get the screen in such a position that the instructor can see it, this really helps when they are trying to hold a tool up for detail shots of the grind or if he's turning and gets a shoulder in the way of the camera etc.
Overhead cameras can be supported by a simply light weight boom arm. Just rig up a lightstand with a lightweight piece of aluminum tubing and some sort of adaptor for the camera. The lathe at our club is permanently mounted so we simply dropped a rod from the ceiling and put the camera on that. I think the ideal situation is 3 cameras. 2 mini cams and regular recording cam with zoom. One mini cam over the lathe to see how the tools cuts on the outside of bowls or spindles. One mini cam looking back toward the demonstrator for sort of an overall shot of what he's doing. The cam corder is then used for all other detail or overall shots and ideally can be easily moved to capture the right details.
That's rougly how it was done at the AAW symposium and it worked pretty well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode