Anyone interested in clean glue tips? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone interested in clean glue tips?

I will offer a way to keep your glue tips and caps pristeen and reusable if there is any interest.

"As the Wood Turns"
Fine woodworking
Fine woodturning
Sapulpa, OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebugg
I will offer a way to keep your glue tips and caps pristeen and reusable if there is any interest.
Ok? I'll bite what are they? I'm always happy to learn something new!

Only thing I know of is to just not use em' lol

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Are we talking plastic glue bottles with snap up and down tips, like I've been refilling for years?

Or am I missing something here?

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Old used up Marine

View okiebugg's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Snap

Yes most of them are snap on caps which in the normal course of things become fouled in high heat and humidity.

Never throw away a tube or a cap when you're finished with a bottle of CA. Save em.

The ones you use every day seem to become glue bound or stopped up just when you need them.

I use a glass jar, usually a large baby food jar and keep it filled with acetone. When one of your tips is becoming clogged or a lid wont go all of the way on or the outside of the tube becomes gluebound, either get out a new tube/cap or one you have cleaned. Throw the sullied cap/tube into the acetone for a few hours and put your new or cleaned tube/cap on your CA bottle. You for most purposes have a 'new' tip.

After the sullied one has soaked for a few hours, swirl/shake the bottle to dislodge the particulate material which may be still lurking inside the tube. Now you have another cap that can be changed out when the one you've been using becomes sullied. Remove the clean one from the acetone with forceps and seal the bottle back up.

The only downside I see to this, is that the acetone becomes cloudy and slightly discolored after 6-8 uses. It is almost like a 'lite' CA. Dispose of it safely and dont get it on anything because it will stick to it...JIM

"As the Wood Turns"
Fine woodworking
Fine woodturning
Sapulpa, OK
The Following User Says Thank You to okiebugg For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (07-20-2011)
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
AHH!, CA glue, I was thinking wood glue.

Great tip!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Been doing that for a couple of years now and it works well except the acetone eats up the plastic in the lid of the baby food jars. I've started using the small jelly jars. I just did 3 lids and one tip yesterday.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntrdr
AHH!, CA glue, I was thinking wood glue.

Great tip!
Same... Cool

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2011, 12:10 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Almost any “super glue” is anaerobic (cures because air is not present). That is why when you cut off the air it cures instantly, also you can squirt some out and leave it quite a long time. Almost all woodturners I know never replace the cap on their CA glue (capped or not the glue only has a shelf life of six months to a year). I do take a thin wire, about like a sewing needle, and clean the airway before sitting it back on the shelf. I quit putting caps back on my bottles about a year and half ago and have never had one clog up. Don’t store next to your accelerator.
From one manufacturer, a question you may have..
If anaerobic adhesives cure in the absence of air, how come they don’t cure in the sealed bottle?
A. The bottles are specially formulated oxygen-permeable polyethylene that allows air to pass through the wall of the bottle to maintain stability of the liquid product inside. The bottle is not filled to the top for stability purposes. A Loctite® 50 ml liquid anaerobic adhesive is 50 ml’s of liquid product in a larger-capacity bottle.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode