Another First Pen Thread - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Another First Pen Thread

This is MY first pen I just did today. These are incredibly fun. It's dumpster wood. Spalted lyptus I think. I have dug lyptus out of this dumpster before and know that the flooring store's shipments of Brazilian woods often use this as pallet spacers. The pictures don't do it justice for the spalt lines. The narrower I went unfortunately the less there were. It's half sapwood half heartwood down the middle. Hard to get on camera. Oh well, it turned out well. I screwed up two transmissions though following the directions. The drawings had me putting them in upside down. I had turned a nice tulipwood pen that I also ruined trying to pull out the transmission. The top is good though so I'll post that when I get some more pen parts and finish it. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0122 (640x480).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	20122  

Name:	100_0134 (640x361).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20123  

Name:	100_0124 (640x479).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	20124  

Name:	100_0126 (640x480).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	20125  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Nice job for the first run! I have been caught a couple of times on setting things up right the first time and that's when I figured out that having spare barrels is a good thing!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Cool pen!

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 09:08 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I was told by the guy that taught me. Save everything and buy extras because some kits come with broken parts and you will mess up some things, It's nice to have extra parts around when needed.

Nice pen. Don't mean to criticize but me personally I would round off the ends more. No corners or sharp edges exposed.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
ACP

Good advice! Yeah, I did a bunch of pen searching last night after I made it and the next one will definitely be more rounded down at the ends. I was a little gun shy to go too thin and ruin it. Thanks for the words all!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Good advice! Yeah, I did a bunch of pen searching last night after I made it and the next one will definitely be more rounded down at the ends. I was a little gun shy to go too thin and ruin it. Thanks for the words all!

You can go down to the bushing but as you do that you where the bushing and can start to go to far because the bushing gets smaller. It's a smart thing to keep extra bushings and to use both sides of the longer bushings if possible. I have a few pens loaded in my albums where I experimented with the shapes some.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrbrown For This Useful Post:
ACP (01-21-2011)
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2011, 01:59 PM

View TurninandBurin's Photo Album My Photos
I would agree that the ends need to be rounded. I am not a big fan of slim line pens, but they are a great starter pen. Not too expensive and pretty easy turn. I would also suggest a good set of digital calipers and not trust the bushings. As stated, they will get smaller every time they are passed.

What was your finish?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
ACP

Calipers! Good advice and I just picked some up the other day. I'll give those a try. I believe this one was gloss poly and wax. Either that or gloss laquer and wax. I want to get some HUT and Shellawax and ktry those. I've heard good things. What do you think?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 AM

View TurninandBurin's Photo Album My Photos
I would skip it all and learn how to finish using CA. It is fairly easy and gives a glass like finish. 8 coats of CA and wet sand from 1500-8000.

There are a few good videos on youtube, but I would skip the BLO step. I use accelerator instead, between coats. Apply using a paper towel. The cellulose in the paper will act like an accelerator as well. I use the paper towels that are used in restroom dispensers. The ones that come in a rectangle and every time one is pulled the other pops out of the dispenser.
The Following User Says Thank You to TurninandBurin For This Useful Post:
ACP (01-23-2011)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
ACP

What kind of CA do you use? Thin stuff, medium, the thick goop? What do you wet sand with? Mineral spirits or water or ________?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2011, 04:09 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
We use a medium CA and boiled linseed oil (brings out the depth of the grain), typically six or more coats. Once the CA has cured a bit we go back and polish with micro-mesh pads (wet) and it really polishes up nicely!

This is crabapple with six coats of CA and polished with all grits of micro-mesh pads.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Mac For This Useful Post:
ACP (01-23-2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode