Another Bullet Pen - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Another Bullet Pen

I turned another bullet pen today. I was going to use the one I turned last week for a gift exchange tonight at a party but decided I wanted to keep my first turning so I made another. I think this is like my 7th pen.

This is Black Palm. I read that this stuff is hard to turn and shouldnt be attempted by a novice but I wasnt gonna let it beat me. Well, the first time it did, lol. The first blank blew up while just trying to round the blank. Off to Woodcraft for some more tubes, The second attempt went real well. I decided to get the blank as round as possible on the belt sander before putting it on the lathe. Worked so much better!

This one still isnt perfect but I find every time I turn one, they get a bit better. This one has a small flaw in my CA finish but its hardly noticeable even by me and I know its there. I'm extrememly happy with it and I hope the reciepient is as well.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I used to get new tubes when blowing up a blank and then figured why? Keep turning the rest off the tube (carefully), resand, and re-use.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I really considered that because Woodcraft is about 20 minutes away. Alot further than I prefer to drive for a pen tube. The reason I didnt is because I'm a rookie and I was worried about getting into the brass and jacking up my tools. I still havnt purchased a grinder yet so I have no way of sharpening my tools. I'll be purchasing one soon though.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Dust Pan Holder

View HS_Woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
You can sharpen with your belt sander. That probably isn't as good as using a grinder but gets the job done.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Brass is not going to hurt your tools. I use a scraper or similar square tipped tool to clean up those mistakes.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-2011, 02:24 AM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a kit or is this a real cartridge?? Looks good from here.

I too do these and sold a few. I make mine from real cartridges and real bullets. I powdercoat the cartridge to keep from tarnishing and they work well.

John T.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Well, depends how you want to look at it. I did purchase a kit but it is a real .308 cartridge in the kit. Kinda the same deal except I didnt have to drill the cartridge and it comes with a gold coating thats a little shinier than brass. The nib isnt a bullet though, uses a bullet shaped nib with a copper coating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode