Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baxter, Tennessee
Ambrosia maple bowl
I've had this blank about 2 years. It had a huge tearout, probably from an industrial planer right in the middle. If filled just about all of the bowl area and went all the way through. I looked at it for years and finally decided what to do.
I took careful measurements so that I could put a glue block on the back. This enabled me to turn the bowl depression exactly where the torn out area was. When I got that area turned away there was still a void from what I guess was a crotch area in the bottom. I filled it with epoxy.
It was very difficult to turn the outer edges. The grain ran in 2 different directions so you turned from outside to middle and it tore the grain really bad on one end. turn from the middle out and it tore the grain on the other end. This was with a sharp 55 degree bowl gouge. I ended up using my 40 degree bowl gouge freshly sharpened and took very small bites. It took about 8 passes to get past the tearout.
I had to completely hand sand everything but the bowl because the details were too sharp. The sides and ends were trimmed on the bandsaw and then flattened on a disc sander. I wanted sort of a boat shape.
It was sanded to 400 grit and minwax wipe on Poly applied.