Advice for newer turners - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Advice for newer turners

I've been reading all the posts recently about Easy Tools versus regular gouges and basic bowl turning and waqnted to share my $.02.
In my humble opinion, there are a few things any newer turner can do to make turning more enjoyable.

First is to take several classes or attend free demos put on by local turning clubs. Having hands on experience with and input from people who have been doing this a long time is invaluable. This way you can "learn from others mistakes since you won't have time to make them all yourself". Craft Supplies USA in Utah offers awesome classes. I was fortunate in that my sweetheart gave me a 5 day beginner class for my birthday the year I started turning. I can't tell you how much my turning improved being able to spend 8 hours a day for 5 straight days in front of a lathe being instructed by 2 of the best turners in the world, Dale Nish and Paul Chilton. I know these classes aren't cheap, but you'll be so happy you went afterwards that you won't care.

Second is to get some cheap or free wood and practice, a lot! Those experienced turners you just learned from didn't get that good overnight, they've spent 100's of hours in front of the lathe. As to the cheap/free wood, those turning clubs are loaded with generous people willing to share some wood with newbies for cheap or free.

Third, buy good tools, learn how to sharpen them and sharpen often. Fighting a dull tool will increase frustration levels quickly. One turner I worked with said if you want to be a good turner, learn to be an excellent sharpener.

Fourth, be patient. Take your time. Step away from the bowl for a minute if you're not getting the result you want and take a deep breath.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post and thanks for all the great inspiration.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2011, 04:19 PM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
I read a lot of your posts Dusty, and I really enjoyed this one.

I am a complete newbie.

The comment about taking classes is spot on.
I watched video after video but until you put that tool to the wood, you haven't learned anything.

I spent this last weekend at a woodturners shop.

He chucked up a piece of pine he had prepped and stood right there and coached me.

It was wonderful. I would be creating sawdust and he'd say stuff like "drop your arm to make the blade come in at a steeper angle" and all of a sudden these long shavings peeled off the wood, hitting my chest and filling my pockets.

This is a pic of the first bowl I tried myself

[IMG][/IMG]

This the bowl he coached me through

And this is a maple plate I made after I got home by myself on my lathe

Hands on is invaluable. Very thoughtful of Wifey......

Learning more about tools everyday
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Once they learn to hand sharpen, most other lathe problems go easy.

Harrison, at your service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
I learned from a man who has been turning for over 40yrs. He charges $15.00 an hour (which I think is very cheap) but he provided everything. All I had to do is show up. He took me to the back yard with his chainsaw and showed me the best way to cut the log for the best results. I carried the blank into his shop and drooled over some of the bowls he had finished.He would not let me make a bowl the first day(only shavings). He wanted me to learn how to use the tool. The 2nd trip was a bowl making day.,and boy was it fun.It took 3 lessons and it was worth every penny.He taught me turning,sharpening,and patience.
Donny
post #5 of 6 Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Cool! $15.00 an hour is cheap. He sounds like me, if someone was genuinely interested in learning technique, I would not charge a dime.

So, if you have access to Children, or Grandchildren, let them watch you work, and answer all questions they may have.

I still remember what I learned as a child from an older relative with a huge lathe. I got to sweep up the shavings, and put tools away. Great times!

Harrison, at your service!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
I don't charge my newbie students either as long as they are genuinely interested in woodturning. problem with a paying students they want to jump right in and gouge out a bowl. I teach the same way as Donny's mentor, safety, sharping, form, from a log to a bowl ,drying, and finishing. my payment is watching them progress though out the years.

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode