Adjustable Mandrel vs. Regular Mandrel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

View NNJG_Matt's Photo Album My Photos
Adjustable Mandrel vs. Regular Mandrel

So what are the pros and cons and over all differences between a adjustable mandrel and a regular mandrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
The difference is that the adjustable or pro mandrel can be made whatever size you need it to be. A regular mandrel requires spacers to make it the length you need it to be. I'm a complete noob and have only used the pro mandrel but I would think the regular one would also be more likely to flex while turning small items that dont require the full length, maybe not though. Also if the mandrel ever gets bent, I can replace the shaft at less than have the cost of a new mandrel. The other type you would need to buy an entire new mandrel.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Bassblaster's pretty much got it on that one...no need for spacer bushings and less flex.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 AM

View JTTHECLOCKMAN's Photo Album My Photos
I use an adjustable mandrel because I rarely like to do more than one blank at a time to elliminate flex and OOR blanks. Also I forgo the mandrel and just turn between centers using the appropriate bushings designed to allow this. Works a whole lot better.

John T.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with John on this, once you start turning between centers you will never use a mandrel again.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTTHECLOCKMAN View Post
..... Also I forgo the mandrel and just turn between centers using the appropriate bushings designed to allow this.
How do you use bushings when turning between centers? Maybe a photo would help.
Thanks
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:51 AM

As a noob who has only been turning pens, I'm interested in this method as well.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
You could also use a mandrel saver from PSI. The mandrel shaft slides inside for adjustment & tightened down by the tailstock. Totally adjustable. No more nut to tighten down. For turning between centers I would use bushings made for it. Penturners Products sells these & he has a demo on his site. The bushings are a little more than stock bushings but they last longer & machined with top quality. John is a great guy & ships fast. You can also use the stock bushings between centers but you could still end up with a blank off center as some holes are off from factory. I used to do this till I had a blank that was off center. I had a set of John's bushings that I had not tried yet & mounted the bank on them & they trued up the blank. Now I only use the bushings made for turning between centers. They do up the anti on quality.

http://woodturning.pennstateind.com/...=mandrel+saver

http://www.penturnersproducts.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baseball inlay on lathe machining to size 170 Large Web view.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	34608  

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 12-31-2011 at 03:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlord For This Useful Post:
djg (12-31-2011)
post #9 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 PM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
I see James posted a picture while I was out in the shop taking some.
I too use the bushings from www.penturnersproducts.com, I have used the factory bushings in a pinch but John's are the best.
Here are the pictures that I took
A set of john's bushings.
60* live and dead centers.
A blank mounted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0598.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	34613  

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	34614  

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	34615  

The Following User Says Thank You to Whaler For This Useful Post:
djg (12-31-2011)
post #10 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM

There you go. I would have taken about the same photos because I too use Johnny's products and I will say this he stands behind his work 100% You do not have to worry about precion using his product because they are well made. That is the way to turn between centers. Thanks guys for posting.

John T.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 PM
djg
Senior Something

I browsed the Pen Turners site cited, but I could not find the specific bushings mentioned. This is what I was looking for in my earlier thread about turning seam rippers.
Are those bushing just the standard one typically used on a mandrel?
If so, I was told that the bushings only ride up against the face (end) of the trimmed blank once the tube had been inserted. What keeps the blank and the bushings lined up? Normally it would be the mandrel running down the center. Or do thes bushings have a tenon that run doun inside the tubing? If I'm missing something that is obvious, then I apologize.
Thanks
post #12 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM

All the bushings are different. Some just ride against the face and some actually fit into the tube. It all depends on the tube diameter and the kit itself. Thats what I told you when I responded in your thread. I didnt say they only ride against the face.

These bushings for turning between centers I know nothing about yet but they are definately not the same as the ones that fit on a mandrel.

Last edited by BassBlaster; 12-31-2011 at 08:22 PM.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I browsed the Pen Turners site cited, but I could not find the specific bushings mentioned. This is what I was looking for in my earlier thread about turning seam rippers.
Are those bushing just the standard one typically used on a mandrel?
If so, I was told that the bushings only ride up against the face (end) of the trimmed blank once the tube had been inserted. What keeps the blank and the bushings lined up? Normally it would be the mandrel running down the center. Or do thes bushings have a tenon that run doun inside the tubing? If I'm missing something that is obvious, then I apologize.
Thanks
The bushings from Penturners are different. They are solid with a tenon that fits the pentube. The outside has a 60º countersink. You will need a 60º live center & dead center. He sells these also. They are machined to much tighter tolerances then the stock bushings for a mandrel. He probably does not have them for a seam ripper. He might be able to do a custom set but you need to e-mail him to find out.

When mounted on the lathe the combination runs very true & you can notice the difference. Dick shows a picture of his bushings. If you have a live center & a dead center you can try turning between centers with the bushings meant for a mandrel. There is still a chance the turning could be off center. But that's also a complaint from many about a mandrel. Watch the turn between centers video he has on his web site to see how they are different.

James
Whittier, CA.

Last edited by jlord; 12-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
djg (12-31-2011)
post #14 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 PM

The bushings that are used to turn between centers as you can see in the photo have a longer stub end that goes into the tube. The other end has a cone shape hole to fit a 60 degree center. The blank automatically becomes centered when all parts are mated properly. Each kit has its own size bushings and yes they are abit more expensive because they are not mass produced. Again one thing I mentioned in the other post the tube and the blank ends must be flush and true or else nothing you use will help OOR problems.

OOPs I see James had answered as I was typing. But I agree with what he said.

John T.

Last edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN; 12-31-2011 at 08:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTTHECLOCKMAN For This Useful Post:
djg (12-31-2011)
post #15 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTTHECLOCKMAN View Post
The bushings that are used to turn between centers as you can see in the photo have a longer stub end that goes into the tube. The other end has a cone shape hole to fit a 60 degree center. The blank automatically becomes centered when all parts are mated properly. Each kit has its own size bushings and yes they are abit more expensive because they are not mass produced. Again one thing I mentioned in the other post the tube and the blank ends must be flush and true or else nothing you use will help OOR problems.

OOPs I see James had answered as I was typing. But I agree with what he said.
I sometimes have the same problem. I'm a slow two finger typer & I don't like to abreviate everything like the younger texting crowd.

James
Whittier, CA.

djg (12-31-2011)
post #16 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM
djg
Senior Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster View Post
All the bushings are different. Some just ride against the face and some actually fit into the tube. It all depends on the tube diameter and the kit itself. Thats what I told you when I responded in your thread. I didnt say they only ride against the face.

These bushings for turning between centers I know nothing about yet but they are definately not the same as the ones that fit on a mandrel.
I guess I misunderstood earlier, thanks for clarifying it again.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I guess I misunderstood earlier, thanks for clarifying it again.
About the only bushings for a mandrel that fit flush to the blank are the 7mm slimline types. Looks just like a spacer. For the larger kits the bushings are two step as they have a center hole for the mandrel & they also have a tenon that fits inside the larger pen tubes.

James
Whittier, CA.

post #18 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster
The other type you would need to buy an entire new mandrel.
The shaft screws into a Morse taper. You can take it out and get a new one for it.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 01-01-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode