Acrylester for Pen Kit - trouble turning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-26-2008, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

View gccc's Photo Album My Photos
Acrylester for Pen Kit - trouble turning

Having lots of trouble turning Acrylester plastic for pen kits. The advice I received was to go for small cuts with a sharp small gouge at 45 degrees etc.. however I still get chips, cracks and chunks shattering off brass barrel. I use CA glue to glue barrels ... I did try very rough sand paper but this causes alot of heat build up.....I like the many colours are available with Acrylester .. should I try a different type of plastic ? Cutting technique ?

GCCC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 AM
A.K.A. - Randy G.

View Graphiti's Photo Album My Photos
I have three sugestions for you, hopefully one will be of some help.

First, try useing a carbide metal cutting bit from a metal turning lathe. You'll have to fabricate a solid sliding tool holder that places the bit perpendicular to the turning and sets the top cutting edge even with the centerline of the pen for it to work. The site listed below has the type of bit I'm sugesting. Cutting this type of plastic is really very easy on my metal lathes useing this type of bit.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Lath...ght-Hand/G7028

Second is more complicated. You could set up a laminate trimmer or other high speed rotory tool and use a straight cut router bit to make the cut. Of course this would require an even more elaborite setup than the metal cutting bit but I can just about gaurantee you'll be happy with the quality of the cut. This is the setup I use to cut the profile on the pool cues I build and I use Corian as an inlay material which is unbelievably brittle. The metal cutters won't even cut it without some chipping. This link has some pictures of the router setup on a lathe for cutting pool cues. It's not the same as mine but it gives a pretty clear view of the setup.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=34380

And my last thought is to ask if you've tried Dymondwood? It's an epoxy impregnated dyed and laminated hard wood made specially for stuff like pens. It's incredibly easy to turn and pretty cheap. It's also very pretty stuff when you turn it, especially if you line up the axis of the lathe off from the layers of the material. The only link I have is for pool cues but if you've never seen it it will give you an idea what it looks like. Dymondwood makes pen blanks with super thin layers that work better for the small diameter of the pens, I think WoodCraft carries them.

http://www.cuestik.com/store/product...5&ITEM_ID=5877

Anyway, Best of luck.
Randy.

Be it by finesse or force... A square peg will go into a round hole.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

View gccc's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks

Many thanks for the comprehensive advice. I really appreciate it. I have a metal lathe and alot of carbide tools so I will give it a go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode