? about my new Baraccuda chuck - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
? about my new Baraccuda chuck

Just got in a Baraccuda chuck today. Haven't used one of these before and I have a question about the largest jaw set. It comes with 4 different jaw sets and for each of them it lists how bit a "cavity" grip (pushing from inside a hole in the bottom) you can get and how big a "dowel" grip (clamping on the outside of a short round "tenon" on the bottom of the bowl) you can get with each one, BUT ... for the largest one, it says the "cavity" grip is "n/a".

Now, I assume that they say that because it's potentially unsafe and they don't want to get sued, but my questions is WHY is it unsafe? I can think of two possible reasons, the first being that maybe it just doesn't grip well on that large a diameter but I can't really see that being likely, and the second being that maybe it's because if you tighten it enough to get a good grip in that configuration, then when you turn the bowl down to a decent thickness, the expanding pressure will cause the bowl to crack along the grain.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Also, does anyone USE it that way despite what the manufacturer says? I'm thinking about using it on a 3.5" cavity grip but don't want to if it is really unsafe or will crack the bowl. I'm looking forward to using it, but don't want my first experience to be a bad one. It seems like a very nice piece of equipment.

Thanks,

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 AM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
I do not have that chuck think PSI contradicts capabilities in catalog and on line specs.

All other chuck manufacturers give clear specs for contraction (grip a tenon) and expansion (expand into dovetail or recess) for each jaw set.

Even Craft Supplies Apprentice Chuck provides clear specs on contraction and expansion modes. Think grizzly same way too.

JMHO would never use #3 jaws on a tenon (contraction mode) sure it can be done just not comfortable that way. Rather cut a dovetail and use expansion mode. Your mileage may vary!

Would have no problem using those jaws in dovetail expansion mode.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Glad to hear it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Just a possibility but, does the chuck have a setscrew to limit the amount of expansion.
My first chuck was Woodcraft and it doesn’t. I also noticed the expansion range on yours is about 1-3/8” compared to my Novas of about 3/4”. My guess is, with larger jaws in particular and using expansion, as you retighten the jaws you can expand them to the point where there is almost nothing holding them on. I expanded my Woodcraft too much several times and the jaws just fall off (that chuck is now fitted with pin jaws only). My second concern would be that in expansion the jaws may extend quite a way beyond the chuck body and the holding point is cantilevered out from the chuck body.

That said, if you cut the minimum opening for the recess, you should only need to expand them maybe 1/8" for maximum holding power.
By minimum I am referring to the closed diameter, just enough for the jaws to slip in. Given a dovetail you should reach the maximum holding position as they expand into the dovetail. I cut the minimum diameter for all of my jaws when using expansion.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

No, it's not possible to over-expand these jaws. There's a stop that totally prevents it.

I realize that I CAN use a small cavity but my point is that I WANT to use a 3.5" cavity, not a small one, I just don't want to do it if it is not safe.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 03:02 PM

My prior post was only my “guesses” at why they do not list expansion on larger jaws. I do not own this chuck so it was only my best guess.

For platters or bowls over 12” I almost always use my 100mm jaws in expansion. I try to make sure I have one inch of wood surrounding the jaws. With mine I do not put excessive pressure in either expansion or contraction, a nice snug fit should hold especially with a dovetail.

I don’t have one of the PSI chucks but I do like learning about things so… I looked up the info at their site for the #3 jaws.
For the 2000C & #3 they list NO info for contraction, but 3-1/8” to 5” for expansion. Does that mean you can’t use them for contraction?
For the 3000C & #3 they list 3-1/6” to 4-3/8 for contraction, but NOTHING for expansion. Does that mean you can’t use them for expansion?

The chuck looks very nice and with all the jaws a good buy for the $. I hope you get a concrete answer from someone who really knows.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaladin View Post
For the 3000C & #3 they list 3-1/6” to 4-3/8 for contraction, but NOTHING for expansion. Does that mean you can’t use them for expansion?
Yes, that what I said and that was my question exactly. I did neglect to put in that I got the 3000

I got the chuck for $150 which seems like a good price

post #8 of 10 Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM

I guess I never did answer you question as to…
Also, does anyone USE it that way despite what the manufacturer says?
I would use it in expansion since the same brand, lower cost chuck with the same jaws list expansion. I feel it was just an omission. If I tried to follow every instruction from Nova I would probably not get anything done (three different site locations may give three different answers).
I would (especially green) leave one inch around it and if the minimum diameter for the jaws is 3 1/8 I would use that. The extra 3/8” isn’t that much expansion but you will lose some when you re-true after it dries and lose more if you remove all signs of the dovetail when finishing the bottom..

post #9 of 10 Old 06-26-2011, 03:35 AM

View Dave Pannell's Photo Album My Photos
I have a cuda chuck that I've used exclusively for 2-3 years now. You are right, on the paper that comes with the chuck it doesn't list anything for the biggest jaws.

And it is safe to use in the same fashion as any other jaw. I'm not sure why they left it off the list, but it doesn't matter. In fact, i would say it's safer to use the biggest jaws over the smaller ones.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-26-2011, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pannell View Post
You are right, on the paper that comes with the chuck it doesn't list anything for the biggest jaws.
Yep, I'm real good at reading

Quote:
And it is safe to use in the same fashion as any other jaw. I'm not sure why they left it off the list, but it doesn't matter. In fact, i would say it's safer to use the biggest jaws over the smaller ones.
That's what I thought since the torque moment is smaller w/ the bigger jaws, but I thought maybe it risked splitting the bowl when it gets down to pretty thin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode