2nd homemade lathe tool - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
2nd homemade lathe tool

The other day I posted a thread about my first homemade lathe tool. Here's the second. I used the first to do the handle on the 2nd, which is a little bit nicer piece of cocobolo. Again, no finish, just cocobolo turned with the first tool and then burnished with the shavings. I didn't burnish or polish the ferrul so the copper looks pretty crappy. This one was glued up but didn't have to be split open like I did on the first one because after I turned it just drilled a round hole for the tang.

This one uses round bar stock instead of square bar stock because I want to try one of each, but the round bar stock (3/8") was a little skinny to take the screw so the machinist welded on a square piece to take the tip and this works really well.

This one has the sharp-cornered insert instead of the "radius corner" insert I showed on the other one. I bought 10 of each for $1.20 each from Global and counting the $20 I paid the machinist for his help, I figure the pair of them cost me about $40 and I just LOVE the way the first one works and have every expectation of loving this one as well. A full breakdown of the costs was given with the first one.

Based on a direct comparison by a fellow on a turning forum I'm on, the savings on the inserts (over the $13+ to $15 that you can pay for better ones) is really only about 2 to 1 since they don't last as long. He also states that they don't cut as well, but I've found that they give a very fine-surface cut when the tip edge is fresh and a better-than-roughing cut even when it starts to dull.

I haven't used the 2nd one yet so don't have a comparison for the feel of the square shank vs the round shank.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	composite.jpg
Views:	7465
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	17476  

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Paul you may have stated in your first post but I didn't see it. What did you use for the copper? It looks like a cooper sleeve from water line.

Oh thanks for the update on the quality/value of the different cutters.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Yep, it was in the first post ... just a cheap pipe coupler (about $1 at the hardware store) that was about 2" long and got me both ferrules.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Another good looking tool. Your handles really stand out in my opinion. How's the weld holding up to the force of the cut?
post #5 of 5 Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP View Post
Another good looking tool. Your handles really stand out in my opinion. How's the weld holding up to the force of the cut?
Thanks. The weld is rock solid near as I can tell, and I've had a couple of catches that tested it. I WAS at that time using the tool when it was just a steel shank w/ the rip but no handle, so when there was a catch, there probably wasn't as much force on the weld as there will be when I'm holding onto the handle about 12" further back from the tool rest, but I don't expect to see any difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to phinds For This Useful Post:
ACP (10-21-2010)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode