When I turned my first bowl it was on a full size Jet lathe. This one was turned on a 10x19 midi lathe that was starting to give problems. I also had someone looking over my shoulder helping with the 1st one but not on this one. I've got to say it was much easier on the full size lathe.
This one was from Oak that was a little wet but no where near as green as the 1st one out of maple. This one also has some checking and a hole in that was hidden and wright in the way. It's roughed out and bagged so if anyone has a suggestion for the hole and the checking please let me know.
I hope to have a new lathe before next time I turn, and have my sharpening system set up so I can sharpen my tools.
It looks like character to me. As far as filling the cracks and the hole as well you can use epoxy mixed with some finely ground coffee grounds. For the hole you want to put a piece of tape over one side and start filling. Nice looking piece of wood BTW.