103.23070 Craftsman Lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

View VDUB04's Photo Album My Photos
103.23070 Craftsman Lathe

Hello all,
I am new to the world of woodturning and Just picked up a Craftsman roebuck Model# 103.23070. Only one problem, (excuse my lack of proper vocab) the tailstock "chuck" ( or peice that holds the wood on ) is missing. I have checked all over, sears, harbor freight, lowes, home depot. NOTHING... Looks as if this part has been dicontinued. From reading I hear Live centers are better. Can someone help me either find this part, or think of something that will work?? Thanks all Have a great day!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

View johnp's Photo Album My Photos
the live center is the one that spins.(next to the motor0. you need the complete tailstock? i have seen those on ebay.. google tail stock didn't get the expected results.. but it did return a lot of pictures... if you can get pictures of what you have someone here can find you a part number of what else you need
post #3 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

VDUB04 You might want to try Home Depot for the part. I used to own a Craftsman lathe ( not sure of the model #) but Home Depot sold the same lathe under the Rigid name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

I do not need the whole tail stock, just the peice that either looks like it has teeth on it or a sharp point that "bites" into the end of the wood. This looks like it sticks out from the tailstock. I have checked home depot, EBAY, lowes, Horbor freight all with no sucess.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM

View bikerb422's Photo Album My Photos
VDU

I have the same lathe and if you go to Woodcrafter you can get the part you need. They won't have it listed as Craftsman but just a universal one. I can check at home tonight and see what mine is. I believe it is a Morsetaper #2 . Let me look tonight.

Bruce
post #6 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 05:59 PM
HLW

Smile

VDUB04, Sorry! I thought you needed the whole tail stock. If you will google Pennstateind.com, that is all they sale is turning equipment and at very good prices. Sounds like you are looking for the live tailstock center and for the head stock,that will be the drive centers. Penn State sales the tail stock center for $ 19.95 plus shipping. I've been pleased with their service and products. I'm using one of their chucks and I can't tell that the Nova was any better that I owned. Also Packard is another good place to buy turning products. Good luck.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

OK, I will chk them out. Hiw can I tell the correct size i need. I will post some pics this afternoon or in the morning. Thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
HLW

Thumbs up

Just tell them when are ordering what lathe you have and they should be able to match it up. I had a Sears lathe and think it was a #1 MT(Morse Taper)? Measuring the size of hole that it fits into, is another way to get the correct one. But I still believe it's a #1 MT. Good luck.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
VD,
Do you have a woodcraft, rocklers, or any other store that sells lathe accessories nearby? If you do, take your tailstock off the lathe, it should either just slide off, or there may be a pin that unscrews that prevents it from sliding off, then take it to the store and match up a live center. There are only a couple different size morse tapers that most lathes use. Once you get the live center, see if you can find a turning club in your local, or at least a turner that wouldn't mind you stopping by and have him show you some lathe basics. It's much easier to get started when someone shows you first hand. Good luck,
Mike Hawkins
post #10 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

I dont have anything of that nature in my local, but I will look elsewhere. I will try to order one from the internet. Is it a Live Center that I need for the tail stock?
post #11 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Yes,
A live center is what you want. It has bearings inside and spins freely. The drive center that would go into the headstock(motor end) fits snugly in the taper and drives the wood blank.
Mike Hawkins
post #12 of 14 Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Sweet, so I will go on the hunt for a #1 MT Live center. Thanks Guys. Again, I will post some pics of the lathe this afternoon.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 PM

View kenbang's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDUB04 View Post
Sweet, so I will go on the hunt for a #1 MT Live center. Thanks Guys. Again, I will post some pics of the lathe this afternoon.
Look on eBay for no. 1 Morse taper live center, they will all fit your machine. There is no need to spend a lot of money for one, heavy duty ones are for production machines, for spindle wood turning, a small one is preferred, and while it may support a log that is maximum size for your lathe, a larger one is advised.

There a lot of good wood turning videos online, check them out, if you haven't yet, the tips you pick up are valuable in learning how to work with your lathe.

Chunks of firewood make good raw materials, and the price is right and you can make beautiful pieces.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM

View sherwoods12's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same lathe. I have attached the manual, you will find it helpful. It is a #1 MT.
I also have a Novascroll chuck on mine. I can find the part number if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2868.pdf (2.31 MB, 12 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode