would this work? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2017, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

View Christopher Gott's Photo Album My Photos
would this work?

I'm trying to decide on how to attach the table skirt (1x6 red oak) to the legs (2.5" x 2.5") of a desk I want to build. I don't have the skill or tools to use mortise and tenon, but I don't want to use pocket screws, either, so I thought I'd try using a router to two grooves the full 5.5" x 3/4" into the leg 3/4" on two sides and glue the skirts into them on each leg. Would this be strong enough, or no? (the post in the image is poplar, but is just being used for practice, and the 3/4" piece is just scrap I had lying around) the finished size of the desk will be 66"w x 28"d x an undecided yet height. i hope this made sense, i'm very much a beginner at this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_222618.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	293586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170429_222630.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	293594  

Last edited by Christopher Gott; 04-29-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2017, 02:28 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Excellent method!

That method would be terrific and I have used something similar myself. The only "improvement" you could make would be to use a more narrow groove and put a corresponding width shoulder on your apron. This will be just fine if that's all you want to do. Make certain the apron fully seats inside the groove, because if not it won't have full strength to resist racking. Use long clamps when gluing it up to assure full seating.

To make certain the legs will all be vertical, measure diagonally across and get the same dimension each way when it's upside down on a flat surface. Measure each side for uniformity as well. Without clamps, use a strap and twist it to increase the tension or a ratchet strap.

Post your build progress! :smile3:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Christopher Gott (04-30-2017)
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 AM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
One flaw will be that using solid wood the skirt boards will eventually work themselves loose from expanding and contracting during seasonal changes. I'd french dovetail the joint so the skirt boards had to slide in from the top and couldn't pull out sideways. If you can't do that then maybe pin the skirt board in using a dowel pin or two through the inside edge into the tenon. Offset the pins when doing the adjacent side.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4DThinker For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's a good method however I would mortise it a little deeper. What you have looks a bit shallow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Woodnthings, that will be a very good way to attach the skirt to the legs.
If you make the dado a little deeper as Steve suggested, you will have enough room to "pin" the skirt to the legs if you wanted. You can use a blind pin from the back side or two small dowels from the front.
With a good woodglue, this will last your lifetime and then some.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2017, 01:15 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
He can't make it deeper ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's a good method however I would mortise it a little deeper. What you have looks a bit shallow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I agree with Woodnthings, that will be a very good way to attach the skirt to the legs.
If you make the dado a little deeper as Steve suggested, you will have enough room to "pin" the skirt to the legs if you wanted. You can use a blind pin from the back side or two small dowels from the front.
With a good woodglue, this will last your lifetime and then some.
In this photo, if the dado was deeper and the other side at 90 degrees also deeper, they would intersect and leave no material supporting the inner edge at the corner:

You can brace it from the inside using this:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/le...allenge-33352/

Or this:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-30-2017 at 01:21 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2017, 07:39 PM

View plasma800's Photo Album My Photos
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Christopher,

Since you asked for guidance and feedback...Mine would be to learn to design such work using traditional joinery (and if possible at all the tools that go with them.)

This is not...a well designed and laid out joint...from a traditional perspective.

Nevertheless, from a modern perspective and tooling approach...if you follow both Woodnthings, and plasma800's guidance for hardware based joinery, your design would be just fine..

As a timber framer myself...and traditional woodworker...I look at this from a perspective of "Do you want a traditional Timber Frame" or do you want a modern "post and beam" structure with hardware based joinery...

It's not a "right and wrong" thing (per se) but a choice of approaches.

The Hardware method requires spending money and purchasing the materials needed, but perhaps a more approachable and utilitarian match to your current needs perhaps?

Regards,

j
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

View Christopher Gott's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, I (finally) got the router, table, and dovetail bit to try the French dovetail that 4DThinker suggested, and have tried It out. I now have a new question about that: Should the Dovetail on the skirt piece fit snugly within the leg (as in, i have to tap it with a hammer to get it to start), or should it be snug, but still able to only use my hands, or should it be just the slightest bit loose to allow space for expansion/contraction?

I tried my hand at chiseling a mortise, and will continue to do so, but decided to try this way first.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2017, 12:47 PM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Gott View Post
I'm trying to decide on how to attach the table skirt (1x6 red oak) to the legs (2.5" x 2.5") of a desk I want to build. I don't have the skill or tools to use mortise and tenon, but I don't want to use pocket screws, either, so I thought I'd try using a router to two grooves the full 5.5" x 3/4" into the leg 3/4" on two sides and glue the skirts into them on each leg. Would this be strong enough, or no? (the post in the image is poplar, but is just being used for practice, and the 3/4" piece is just scrap I had lying around) the finished size of the desk will be 66"w x 28"d x an undecided yet height. i hope this made sense, i'm very much a beginner at this.
A better idea would be to use a dovetail bit, instead of the straight mortising bit you have used. Then the same depth will give a stronger joint. The same bit can be used for making the tenons for the aprons.

(I did not see the earlier post by 4Dthinker. He has the same idea.)

Keep thy axe sharp.

Last edited by Jig_saw; 05-20-2017 at 12:51 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-21-2017, 10:37 AM

View 4DThinker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Gott View Post
Okay, I (finally) got the router, table, and dovetail bit to try the French dovetail that 4DThinker suggested, and have tried It out. I now have a new question about that: Should the Dovetail on the skirt piece fit snugly within the leg (as in, i have to tap it with a hammer to get it to start), or should it be snug, but still able to only use my hands, or should it be just the slightest bit loose to allow space for expansion/contraction?

I tried my hand at chiseling a mortise, and will continue to do so, but decided to try this way first.
I would make the fit so you could slide the apron boards into the legs without using a mallet, but still close enough to not seem loose. When you finally assemble the table put a little glue in the bottom inch or two of the dovetail slots.

4D
post #12 of 12 Old 05-21-2017, 11:05 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If you had dovetailed the joint it would be fine. The depth is shallow and will require a corner metal bracket. I won't use a wood corner unless it is locked in....
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode