Wooden hinge help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

View jmhawk1's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb Wooden hinge help

So, I am new to woodworking, and recently built a toy horse stable. My daughter (7 y/o) loved helping her daddy with some of the cutting with a mitre box and hand saw, drilling out the pocket holes with a Kreg jig, attaching the posts to the uprights, and staining the stable and shingles. It was a great project, and now she wants to do more.

She has requested a corral or fence, and I would love to make one that is about 7" tall or so that can fold up like an accordion for storage. I have scoured Google, but have not had any luck. I have found some for sale by the Amish, but would love to build this myself with the help of my daughter. I planned to use 1x2s for the fence, with a wooden dowel for the swivel so it can fold together. The only thing I can think of is to drill some holes at the end of the fence "slots" to insert the dowel, then nail/staple the dowel at the top and bottom fence "slot", allowing the "slots" in the middle to move. Basically, I want them to move almost 360 degrees, so a normal "door" hinge will not work. I know that doesn't really clear much up, but I am sure if you have seen the toy wooden fences, you will understand what I want. I have also attached a picture of what I am talking about...

I am very new to woodworking, but would love some opinions on this. I have joined this community specifically for this answer, but searching for "wooden hinge" didn't bring up anything helpful...

I look forward to learning a lot more, and I hope to be able to start making my own furniture (and doll furniture) soon, along with the pride of being able to do my own woodwork and tinkering. Thank you all in advance, and please don't flame me!!!

Matt
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 01:22 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
I use 1/8 inch brass welding rod for my wooden hinges. The challenge will be to drill a straight hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Q View Post
I use 1/8 inch brass welding rod for my wooden hinges. The challenge will be to drill a straight hole.

That was part of my concern, I will have to make sure the holes are all in the exact same spot, but I can build a quick and easy template for that. How would I keep the top and bottom rows/slots from falling off of the dowel/rod? I am guessing using a nail to attach the dowel and not have the rows/slots slip out. The "inner" rows/slots should be able to move fully around.

Thanks for the speedy reply on this, and I look forward to more advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If you attach the top and bottom solidly to the dowel the fence will not fold.

You are going to have a problem making your drill holes just "slightly" larger than the dowel, or vice versa.

The 1/8" brass rod is probably the best idea. You could ping the top and bottom to prevent the rods from falling off.

George
post #5 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 07:51 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
The brass rod goes in tight, in fact I usually chuck the rod into a drill, lube it up with some wax, and "screw" it in. It won't come out and the end pieces won't fall off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what "pinging" is, but guessing it has to do with expanding the ends so they don't pull through the wood...

Terry Q, would you have any pictures of some that you have done in the past? My daughter wants to paint the wood white, I don't think the paint would cause much of a problem, and I may wait to drill out the holes until after the wood is painted.

I am attaching another picture of something that resembles what I am looking to make. Again, this is an "Amish" made toy in the picture.

Lastly, I am still fairly new to woodworking. I am reading through this forum, and am delighted to see many ideas and friendly people who are willing to share their information. I am very glad that I joined, and I hope to increase my knowledge and hopefully someday contribute!!!
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I like the idea of using brass rod. Pre-drilling all the holes with a drill press jig makes quick work of getting them all placed correctly, and cutting brass rod is easy.

To keep everything together, you could either use a ball-peen hammer to mushroom the ends of the rod (just make sure you've got something solid underneath the other end!), leave an extra half inch on the rod and bend 1/4" at each end over, or just put epoxy in the top and bottom rungs of the taller sections. I'd probably go with that last one.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2017, 12:23 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
To make the style in last photo glue dowel into top and bottom rails in the sets of tree and leave sets of two rails loose.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode