Wooden dowel for breadboard ends - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
JR7

View JR7's Photo Album My Photos
Wooden dowel for breadboard ends

Newbie here and as the title says would wooden dowels suffice to attach bread board ends? I donít have a plate joiner or the router bits necessary, nor have I learned to do tenon and mortise joints. This is my first project and Iím just learning a bit with it. I realize this table wonít last forever, but Iím learning as I go.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 11:59 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
I am no expert, but I don't think dowels driven into the ends of the bread board will allow the field to expand. Never done one yet, but normally dowel pegs are driven in from top into slotted holes of the field's tenon. That's my understanding.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 12:14 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As explained above, there has to be room for expansion when grains are joined perpendicular to each other, you will possibly end up with a split top.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
JR7

Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate it. Iím just looking for an easier way to attach without glueing and using pocket holes. I donít plan on this table lasting a life time, but I also donít want it to split in 6 months or less. I guess what Iím saying is Iím looking for a ďmiddle of the roadĒ way to join these.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 12:37 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
TMK there really isn't a better way to attach than using mortise/tenon/tongue and groove. The tenon is in segments 2-3" long with a tongue and groove between. You can do floating tenons also. The key is to use drawbored pins and NO glue except maybe the middle pin.

Google "breadboard tenons" and check YouTube

BTW, You wouldn't use glue and pocket holes for the same reason as dowels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	384181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	384183  

Robert

Last edited by DrRobert; 01-30-2020 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
JR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
TMK there really isn't a better way to attach than using mortise/tenon/tongue and groove. The tenon is in segments 2-3" long with a tongue and groove between. You can do floating tenons also. The key is to use drawbored pins and NO glue except maybe the middle pin.

Google "breadboard tenons" and check YouTube

BTW, You wouldn't use glue and pocket holes for the same reason as dowels.
I donít really have the tools for Mortise/tenons nor the knowledge. Would the dowel method I mentioned be a similar concept to the floating tenons?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 01:54 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
TMK there really isn't a better way to attach than using mortise/tenon/tongue and groove. The tenon is in segments 2-3" long with a tongue and groove between.....
Not intending to hijack his thread, but why is the tenon segmented when the mortise is full length? As I said I've never done one before.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR7 View Post
Newbie here and as the title says would wooden dowels suffice to attach bread board ends? I donít have a plate joiner or the router bits necessary, nor have I learned to do tenon and mortise joints. This is my first project and Iím just learning a bit with it. I realize this table wonít last forever, but Iím learning as I go.

Thanks
Do you need breadboard ends, unless they are done properly you will be better off without them, your table top will move as it has to, providing it is fastened to the base or legs in a manner that allows it to do so.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #9 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 03:33 PM

View phaelax's Photo Album My Photos
No I don't think there's a viable way to do a breadboard end with just dowels. The holes in the end could be elongated so the table has room to expand with the dowels in place. But without glue, the dowels would offer little support to the end. And applying glue would defeat the purpose. I'm far from an expert but I can't see this working without tenons.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 05:38 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Poorly executed breadboard ends are worse than no breadboard ends at all. If your table has aprons to hold the top flat I say leave them off.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
JR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Do you need breadboard ends, unless they are done properly you will be better off without them, your table top will move as it has to, providing it is fastened to the base or legs in a manner that allows it to do so.
TBH im not totally sure. I used box store 2x10's for the top and was just going to use a 2x6 on each end for the bread boards. My 2x10's are cut to 66". Would a 66x40 table be large enough to seat 6 comfortably? thanks...

Justin
post #12 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 07:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
In that case.......

Quote:
I don’t really have the tools for Mortise/tenons nor the knowledge. Would the dowel method I mentioned be a similar concept to the floating tenons?

Don't do anything. Just let the ends be flush cut and be done with it. Better that than have them split apart from poor joinery techniques.

As to mortises, a long dado as shown in Dr. Bob's photo above, on the breadboard end can be filled with spacer blocks to resemble a series of mortises.

As to tenons, you certainly could use a router to remove the waste ..... easily. However, a series of parallel circular saw cuts and some considerable hand work with a plane a chisel would work well also. You can practice on some scraps before doing the "real deal'. If this were my project, that's the way I would do it. It makes for a real "fine woodworking" detail, like no other method can.

Just remember to leave enough space on either sides to allow for movement AND to only glue the center tenon and mortise, leaving all the other free to move!
JR7 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-30-2020 at 08:35 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
TBH im not totally sure. I used box store 2x10's for the top and was just going to use a 2x6 on each end for the bread boards. My 2x10's are cut to 66". Would a 66x40 table be large enough to seat 6 comfortably? thanks...
Here are the recommended seating capacities:

https://sonofawoodcutter.ca/blogs/ne...ating-capacity
JR7 likes this.

FrankC
post #14 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 10:04 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
You could fit 2 on each side and 1 person at each end. with your 40 X 66 table as is. Best way to find out for sure is to actually do it, even if it means temporarily putting the top on saw horses and putting the chairs around it.

Just trying to make your table bigger on the ends (longer) without mortise/tenon proper breadboard ends is probably not going to work.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode