Wood paneled walls? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

View Martyanderson's Photo Album My Photos
Wood paneled walls?

I am planning on putting some wood paneling on a wall in my new office. The way I plan on building it is to put up 1/4" wood veneer paneling over the whole wall then putting on some rails and stiles I think they are called. The question I have is that I need to router some ogee type joints for the rails and stiles and the only router bits that I can find also cut a groove on the bottom of the rails and stiles to put 1/4" grooves for the paneling. Since I am mounting the rails and stiles on top of the paneling already on the wall I don't need the paneling groove. It would be a lot more work to cut the paneling in squares and mount it in the grooves.
I hope this explanation is clear, it seems kind of hard to explain. Can anybody steer me towards the right router bits to use? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyanderson View Post
I am planning on putting some wood paneling on a wall in my new office. The way I plan on building it is to put up 1/4" wood veneer paneling over the whole wall then putting on some rails and stiles I think they are called. The question I have is that I need to router some ogee type joints for the rails and stiles and the only router bits that I can find also cut a groove on the bottom of the rails and stiles to put 1/4" grooves for the paneling. Since I am mounting the rails and stiles on top of the paneling already on the wall I don't need the paneling groove. It would be a lot more work to cut the paneling in squares and mount it in the grooves.
I hope this explanation is clear, it seems kind of hard to explain. Can anybody steer me towards the right router bits to use? Thanks
scratch this -

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 01:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If this is the concept you are looking for you can buy panel molding which has the rabbet on the back side. All you would have to do is make your stiles and rails with 1/4" plywood over the paneled wall and then trim.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

This is the style I am going for with unpainted wood. The point I am trying to make is that the wall would be covered with with 1/4" plywood with a veneer on it and then the rails and stiles applied over that in a pattern similar to the picture. That way I don't have to cut the panels into squares to fit inside the rails and stiles. Also I am doing all the woodwork in Cherry that I already own.
Attached Images

post #5 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
scratch this -
Scratch what?
post #6 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
This is the style I am going for with unpainted wood. The point I am trying to make is that the wall would be covered with with 1/4" plywood with a veneer on it and then the rails and stiles applied over that in a pattern similar to the picture. That way I don't have to cut the panels into squares to fit inside the rails and stiles. Also I am doing all the woodwork in Cherry that I already own.
For that style you can cover the wall with 1/4" plywood and then make your stiles and rails with 3/4" solid wood or plywood and then trim around the inside of the opening with solid wood molding. If you glue your stiles and rails to the paneling it would eliminate the need to make frames with joints. If you have very much do I would recommend making a sled for your table saw to miter the molding with. It will make cleaner cuts and will be quicker if you make the openings of consistent sizes.
post #7 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

If you cover the whole wall with " paneling, you can just apply the moulding to the surface.

Onefreetexan likes this.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
For that style you can cover the wall with 1/4" plywood and then make your stiles and rails with 3/4" solid wood or plywood and then trim around the inside of the opening with solid wood molding. If you glue your stiles and rails to the paneling it would eliminate the need to make frames with joints. If you have very much do I would recommend making a sled for your table saw to miter the molding with. It will make cleaner cuts and will be quicker if you make the openings of consistent sizes.

I actually thought about this but I did that with an old door I restored to hold the bottom panel in and it was impossible to stain the cheap whitewood molding I bought at Lowes to match the door. It didn't take stain well and I wasn't happy with the result. Plus it is just more work and money and the result wouldn't look as nice as a solid piece of Cherry.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

If you cover the whole wall with " paneling, you can just apply the moulding to the surface.

That's what I want to do but I need to router the cherry to fit together at the joints. I am still not sure I have made myself understood. I am not the most descriptive writer.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
[

Not exactly the look you're looking for, but 1/8" plywood with custom made trim over it. Not quite finished as you can see. The real painstaking part is facing the bookshelves with the trim. All those 45's!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lib1.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	44479  

Name:	Lib2.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	44480  

post #11 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Old School

Quote:
That's what I want to do but I need to router the cherry to fit together at the joints. I am still not sure I have made myself understood. I am not the most descriptive writer.
You can use a rail and stile bit set and not use the grooving cutter.

post #12 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can use a rail and stile bit set and not use the grooving cutter.

Now were talking! I guess that means that they can be taken apart right? I found a 2 piece set that said "the panel groove and stub tenon must be cut seperatly" Does that sound like what I need? Here is a link to the one I was looking at buying. I am using 3/4" cherry stock. Could you look at this please and tell me if this is what I need? Thanks for the help.
http://www.toolstoday.com/p-4964-cla...l-cutters.aspx
post #13 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Now were talking! I guess that means that they can be taken apart right? I found a 2 piece set that said "the panel groove and stub tenon must be cut seperatly" Does that sound like what I need? Here is a link to the one I was looking at buying. I am using 3/4" cherry stock. Could you look at this please and tell me if this is what I need? Thanks for the help.
Hi Marty - I think that's exactly what you are looking for
My "scratch this" post was a suggestion to use the rail and stile without the cutter but realized after I read it that that would throw the proportions off, giving sort of a goofy profile unless you did a lot of planning.

Another thing you could do would be just use a standard profile bit, ogee or whatever, and miter all the joints so the profiles meet.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 05-13-2012 at 11:15 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks jschaben, I appreciatte the help.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

'Yes, it is a pretty simple job. You either buy or make the molding and then a simple miter joint at the corners.

George
post #16 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 AM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
I did the same thing you want to do. 1/4" ply and glued on the rails and stiles. I purchased oak molding and applied it. The wall on the right with the pilaster is original and I added the paneling straight ahead with the light switch and the door knob. The door is a metal door and to hold down the added weight, I routed out the backs of the rails and stiles so they are just a shell. This is a condo apartment in a large old house that was converted to condos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2266 (Small).jpg
Views:	18522
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	44506  

post #17 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Old School

Quote:
There are a few ways you can get the same type look. If you are using lumber, you'll need to use the R&S bits to get the cope and stick mated corners where the rails meet the stiles (to get a squared inside corner).

Or, if you made up the rails and stiles with lumber as a frame, and ran a profile bit around the inside edge, you would have a rounded profile in the corners...not squared off. For some projects this could look good. But if you want to make it look like actual door type panels, the inside corners should be square.

Or, you can cheat by using hardwood plywood for the rails and stiles, and just butt the rails to the stiles. Then cut moulding for the inside edges, and the outside edges and miter the corners.

I did these bar front panels similar to that.

Wood paneled walls?-fh4.jpg

post #18 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
I did the same thing you want to do. 1/4" ply and glued on the rails and stiles. I purchased oak molding and applied it. The wall on the right with the pilaster is original and I added the paneling straight ahead with the light switch and the door knob. The door is a metal door and to hold down the added weight, I routed out the backs of the rails and stiles so they are just a shell. This is a condo apartment in a large old house that was converted to condos.
Very nice! How did you get the metal door to look like wood? I will have one metal door in a firewall and I would like to get it to look like wood. I am re-using the old door below in the restroom and private office. Before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4160166.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	44510  

Name:	P5010193.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	44511  

Onefreetexan likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 AM

View Zircon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Very nice! How did you get the metal door to look like wood? .
Thanks for the compliment. I attached the 1/4" oak plywood to the metal door using self drilling self tapping screws where the rails and stiles are. I then glued the 3/4" solid oak rails and stiles to the plywood. These pieces are just butted together, no joinery.As mentioned before, that adds a lot of weight to the door so I routed out most of the bulk of the rails and stiles so they are just hollow shells.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I attached the 1/4" oak plywood to the metal door using self drilling self tapping screws where the rails and stiles are. I then glued the 3/4" solid oak rails and stiles to the plywood. These pieces are just butted together, no joinery.As mentioned before, that adds a lot of weight to the door so I routed out most of the bulk of the rails and stiles so they are just hollow shells.
Thanks for the info, I assume the metal door had a flat surface to work with correct? Was it a pre-hung door? If so did you have to modify the casing to accomodate the thickness of the wood panel?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode