Windsor Chair spindle tenon issue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Windsor Chair spindle tenon issue

A few months ago I began a fairly ambitious project for me - a Windsor rocking chair from plans fom Peter Galbert. I am using walnut riven from a tree someone gave to me for all of the spindles, legs, stretchers, and arms.

I encountered a problem recently which is that I sized the tenons with a draw knife, and one of them ended up a little undersized for the mortise it's supposed to fit into! I am out of walnut from that tree now, and really don't want to remake the spindle!

So I'm looking for suggestions on how to tighten up this joint. I considered inserting some small wedges into the gap during glue up, maybe? Or also maybe "fox" wedging the joint.

Can these work? Anybody attempted a similar fix? Maybe I can just wrap a plane shaving around the tenon?

I've attached an image of the chair and the offending joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_165214181_1508163750726.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	320321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171015_211336762_1508163776811.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	320329  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 12:32 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I've filled in a gap in a mortise with plane shavings, and it's plenty solid, so that might work. I basically soaked the shaving in hide glue to make sure there everything would glue to everything else. Depending on your finish (I was going to paint, so it didn't matter), glue overflow might be an issue.

If you have a small piece of scrap, though, you might just plug the mortise and re-drill it a bit smaller.

Most importantly, the chair looks good so far!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
don't know your stage of assembly, but you could also glue in a plug cut from similarly colored and grained material. then re-drill the hole. otherwise, I think you could pre-glue a shaving into the hole. then test the hole for size and drill as needed.

I would replace the spindle, i am anal and ocd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 02:32 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Fill the mortise with 2 part epoxy and insert the spindle. Carefully clean up all excess.

George
post #5 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could mask off around the hole and glue the loose part in with a heavy paste epoxy however it would lessen the quality of the chair by doing so. It's your call but any fix other than remaking the part would be jury rigging the chair. When the day comes that rung rattles you will remember the fix.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 10:09 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You might consider doweling the hole, sanding it smooth and re-drilling for a tight fit. Since the measurement is only slightly off, less than 1/16 will be revealed when the new splat is set.
I think this would be more matching than epoxy.
Its that or new splat IMO.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-16-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Hmm... Maybe I'll try the dowel, then drill a 7/16ths hole... 7/16ths is really getting thin for walnut, I think. So that's not an ideal solution either. It is riven walnut, so I know it's nice straight grain, at least.

I'll have to think about it for a bit and decide what I'm willing to accept. It's a chair for my wife and I to use at home, but if I can pull it off and it sits well this thing will be the nicest piece of furniture I've ever made! Want it to be nice.

Nothing has been glued in place yet. All just dry fit. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode