What is the name of this type of joinery - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
View Remi's Photo Album My Photos
What is the name of this type of joinery

Hello everybody !

I am a french young man studying woodworking.

I need to know the english name of this type of joinery :



This is used mostly for cabinet doors for example. You use it instead of tenon and mortise. It consists of doing the exact same pattern of the moulding, but inward in the wood of the other piece. And another small part under this goes into the groove of the other piece, like a tiny tenon.

I looked on the internet but I couldn't find any translation.
In french language it is called "contre-profil".

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank's to everybody.

(I apologize if I happen to make some mistakes in my english writing)
Remi is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
mengtian's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,377
View mengtian's Photo Album My Photos
This might help you. It is done with a stile bit. I have this same set.

mengtian is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 148
View Tman1's Photo Album My Photos
That would be a coped joint.
Tman1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Village Idiot
epicfail48's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Springfield MO
Posts: 4,911
View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ive heard the construction method referred to as both rail and stile as well as cope and stick. Not sure what the joint itself ifps called, but a coped joint as tman said sounds right to me

I need cheaper hobby
epicfail48 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
MT Stringer (06-07-2015)
post #5 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,885
View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
If you are making that joint using a router and router bits, it is called "rail and stile". Be safe.
woodchux is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,995
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The cut on the ends of the boards is called coping. The cut down the edge is called sticking. The joint is just called coping and sticking.
Steve Neul is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 PM
where's my table saw?
woodnthings's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 27,117
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
rail and stile

Also called frame and panel:

The horizontal pieces are the rails, the verticals are the stiles. They are nouns. Coping or "to cope" used in woodworking, is a verb meaning to shape the end of one piece so it matches the profile of it's mate. It's a process.


The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,651
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
As far as I know either "cope and stick" or "rail and style" is the common terminology used, technically they are a mortise and tenon, designed with increased surface area for gluing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 06-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 4,232
View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos

You can build a face frames for cabinets with stile and rail construction without using Cope & Stick. Stiles and rails can be butt jointed with square cuts. Most home built cabinets are built this way.
The Cope & Stick method is a more elaborate, more professional construction method, requiring special matched (female and male) shaper or router bits. These are especially nice on a frame and panel construction.
The price of a matched cope & stick set has actually come down in price over the last 30 years. And more of these cutters are now finding their way into home woodshops.
Thank Goodness for that.
Toolman50 is offline  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stanley Plane No. 6 Type 9 with a Type 11 iron? tailwagger Hand Tools 8 11-30-2013 02:06 AM
What Type of Rule do Cabinet Makers Use and what type of pencil? MastersHand Tips, Tricks, & Homemade Jigs 8 02-10-2012 10:03 AM
designing a cylinder-type push-button pin/spring/actuator type lock/puzzle davidbenjamindix Design & Plans 0 01-08-2011 10:43 AM
joinery ? ccrow Joinery 3 11-19-2010 03:11 PM
joinery benofvegas Joinery 1 06-30-2008 06:58 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome