What happens when we clamp glued joints? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

View chiuchimu's Photo Album My Photos
What happens when we clamp glued joints?

When we clamp a joint while gluing it is generally stronger. However, there has been times when I glued without clamping and the joint was very strong - stronger than the wood. I've had the wood break instead of the glue joint even though the pieces weren't clamped.

So I'm asking what do you think happens during clamping that makes the joint stronger? Is it?

1) it makes better contact by lessening any gaps between the wood pieces.
2) Presses the glue deeper into the wood.
3) Removes as much excise glue as possible.

I think knowing the exact machinism that makes clamping joints stronger can lead to methods that make joints even stronger. For example, if its the deeper penetration of the glue that makes the joint stronger then we can try maximizing it by thinning out the glue to penetrate deeper or using a vacuum chamber to suck the glue deep into the wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I go with 1 and 3, I don't use excess pressure when clamping
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
When we clamp a joint while gluing it is generally stronger. However, there has been times when I glued without clamping and the joint was very strong - stronger than the wood. I've had the wood break instead of the glue joint even though the pieces weren't clamped.

So I'm asking what do you think happens during clamping that makes the joint stronger? Is it?

1) it makes better contact by lessening any gaps between the wood pieces.
2) Presses the glue deeper into the wood.
3) Removes as much excise glue as possible.

I think knowing the exact machinism that makes clamping joints stronger can lead to methods that make joints even stronger. For example, if its the deeper penetration of the glue that makes the joint stronger then we can try maximizing it by thinning out the glue to penetrate deeper or using a vacuum chamber to suck the glue deep into the wood.
The clamp doesn't press the glue into the grain of the wood. All that is really needed is a snug fit. Often that requires clamps if what you are gluing resists pulling together. You can use too much pressure and force too much glue out of the joint making the joint weaker.

The excess glue is best washed off with a wet rag while it's still wet. Glue left on the surface can soak into the wood sealing it to where if you don't sand it enough can prevent the wood from staining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This guy did a test on gluing joints

By applying different amounts of glue in the joints his results were surprising. Look in at 4:40 to see the results:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

View chiuchimu's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
By applying different amounts of glue in the joints his results were surprising. Look in at 4:40 to see the results:

Can you squeeze all the glue out of a joint? - YouTube
Thanks. I watch a lot of Wandel videos, it's uprising how I missed this one.

So it seems good contact between wood is not only unnecessary but makes the joint weaker. Fascinating. As I originally posted, I found it strange that sometimes glued but not clamped pieces are very strong. Now I know why. It's the glue and good adhesion of glue to wood that matters not the close contact between wood pieces. Clamping down actually pushes glue out of the joint making it weaker. Ofcourse I'm still going to clamp down on the joints because I want a nice tight clean joint but now I know it doesn't help with the strength of the joint. I might try chiselling out a shallow patch in the joint and see how that works. See when this "glue gap" method works instead of other methods like dowels or rabbit joint.

Last edited by chiuchimu; 03-23-2019 at 01:40 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2019, 11:34 AM

View unburled's Photo Album My Photos
It be interesting to hear his thoughts on the results and how they compare to glue mfr testing, how he might do the testing differently, and one-year-out testing.

https://i.imgur.com/RWtCcm

1.png

Last edited by unburled; 03-23-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode