What edge joining technique is best? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

View jkline805's Photo Album My Photos
What edge joining technique is best?

I am going to be constructing a bench soon, and I need some help. I have some mdf core plywood that I may want to utilize, but it may not work. My thoughts are to use a spline as shown below. My question is, the panel is 8' long, so should I use a slot cutting bit to get the groove in the correct position the full length, or just set up a jig to run the plywood through the table saw? My next question would be, is MDF strong and stable enough to not swell at this edge? This would cause there to be a ridge that would form where the hardwood meets the ply. Any suggestions would be great. If MDF isnt going to work, I will find some veneer core plywood. Thanks.

Name:  edging detail.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  8.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You can just use glue and clamps and cauls to secure the edging. No need for a spline or a joint bit. With the wood out at the front end, you may need some thin shims under the cauls to get good alignment.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

View jkline805's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=cabinetman;267750]You can just use glue and clamps and cauls to secure the edging. No need for a spline or a joint bit. With the wood out at the front end, you may need some thin shims under the cauls to get good alignment.

Thanks for the reply.

So the cauls would be used perpendicular to the edge joint? Then use shims to massage the hardwood into position for perfect alignment? The plan is to use Alder, and the edging will probably be 2 1/2" wide. I assume my best bet would be to plane the edging to the same thickness as the ply and then attempt to get it aligned nearly flush so there would be minimal sanding required. I have never really worked with Alder before, but I assume it will sand fairly easily if I have some high spots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkline805 View Post
I am going to be constructing a bench soon, and I need some help. I have some mdf core plywood that I may want to utilize, but it may not work. My thoughts are to use a spline as shown below. My question is, the panel is 8' long, so should I use a slot cutting bit to get the groove in the correct position the full length, or just set up a jig to run the plywood through the table saw? My next question would be, is MDF strong and stable enough to not swell at this edge? This would cause there to be a ridge that would form where the hardwood meets the ply. Any suggestions would be great. If MDF isnt going to work, I will find some veneer core plywood. Thanks.

Attachment 32763

Hi - Just for grins here's another option
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...banding_anchor

Just put the tongue on the wood, not the ply

I don't see any reason your method won't work. I'm sure some will be along to say just glue. In your situation, I wouldn't trust it, not that I don't trust the glue, I don't trust the MDF

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkline805 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

So the cauls would be used perpendicular to the edge joint? Then use shims to massage the hardwood into position for perfect alignment? The plan is to use Alder, and the edging will probably be 2 1/2" wide. I assume my best bet would be to plane the edging to the same thickness as the ply and then attempt to get it aligned nearly flush so there would be minimal sanding required. I have never really worked with Alder before, but I assume it will sand fairly easily if I have some high spots?
That's the procedure. You should get very good alignment. The glue bond will be very strong, and you will find that out after you try it.

Last edited by cabinetman; 12-03-2011 at 05:23 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
What CMan is saying is really all the you need. The glue (TB-II or TB-III) is stronger than the wood.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Hard to beat a test sample......sort of fun as well.

Glue representative pcs together.....making them long enough to validate....then after dry,smack the livin daylights out of it with a BFH.If time allows....do the same glue-up and throw the test pce out in the yard,then after a few days/week....do the hammer test.

Heck,anytime you make a glue-up or stain/paint/clear something,save some drops or scraps from the project and toss them out in the yard.No special documenting,spreadsheets,ect....nope,just throw'm in the yard and see what happens.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
I like the glue-spline detail in your drawing. It is, after all, the edge of a bench and will have to support a lot of weight depending on who sits on it! Glue is strong but the weak link is the core of the MDF which can pull out if stressed too much. The spline more than doubles the glued surface area.

If you do decide to simply butt it and glue it, make sure you get full coverage on both faces.

Bret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode