Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Eastern Kentucky
I just did a headboard with this very same design, if I'm reading this right. I was going to use 5 1/2" vertical slats all tongue in groove joined. I was spanning about 58" wide with one large panel. After I cut all the parts and had them fitted perfectly, I got hurt with a saw (my fault) and ended up waiting about 2 months before finishing it. I'm glad I did because the slats all shrank and I lost a total of 3/8" in width. I was warned it might happen anyway before I let the time pass in between cutting and finishing. If I had finished it, it might possibly have shrank and pulled itself apart. This was also after I had let the wood acclimate to my shop for about 2 weeks prior to cutting it anyway.
I ended up making the main panel from MDF to aleiviate shrinking and expanding issues. I just routed the front side to look like vertical slats with a V-groove bit.
I will add that I did not have a moisture meter at the time and the wood I bought had been stored outdoors at a lumber yard under a shelter and tarp. It was dry to the touch when i bought it but it might have had more moisture content than I realized and 2 weeks shop time wasn't enough to get it all out. 2 months apparently was, explaining the shrinkage. These boards all cupped on me in the mean time as well. They were just standard 1x6 framing lumber, which I'm sure played a part in it as well (not a good grade of wood).
Now I have a moisture meter and am able to figure out that wood in my shop will dry to below 6% MC so I'm fairly certain that future shrinkage issues can be avoided if I let it dry long enough and check it before using. Expansion once the new piece is moved to its new home, that's another story.
Last edited by Duane Bledsoe; 01-26-2013 at 05:27 AM.