veneer marketry issues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

View Rom 1's Photo Album My Photos
veneer marketry issues

Hi everyone, new to the forum , figured this could fit in this sub...

I'm a product designer/ artisan located in Lisboa, Portugal. (I 'm french though )

I have a little issue with my first marketry piece. any feedback is appreciated on the two issues I have.

So. I had two main issues with this project:
1- my veneer started to go all wavy and I had huge problems joining pieces together as they were somehow "streachable" across grain. I first tried wetting them with a sponge and letting them 24 h in the vacuum press. It looked good at first but soon became worst hehe. I then tried the technique in the attached link
with poor results. I ended up having inconsistent glue-up on an edge. It seems like there was some "extra material" that didn't know where to go and started ondulating thus leaving me with a lot of touch-up to try to re-glue and "flatten" many spots.
Poor result. Which is sad because it is quite localised.

2- I only had access to Tesa 433 precision masking tape to do all the joint work :/ I know... I just had to for timing reasons (and look at me now). And after a night in my vacuum press it left some ghost marks (residues?) that I am wondering how to remove without damaging the walnut veneer... I would still like to try to salvage this so any tips for removing the marks are welcome.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great I feel a bit sad about this piece :/

thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Rom 1; 02-09-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The problem is probably with the adhesive you used. Not knowing what you used I can only guess. Contact cement is too rubbery and will bubble up if the substrait shrinks. The peal and press veneer is just as bad on a substrait that shrinks. On larger sheets wood glue tends to dry well around the edges and stay wet in the middle for weeks. If the glue isn't dry then the veneer can certainly bubble up. A wood welder would be needed in that application. Large sheets it would be best for the DIY to use a resin glue. You could fill a jar to the lid and it would harden all the way through overnight. It's a two part glue which will harden regardless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode