Using aerosol lacquer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Twokamprs

View Twokamprs's Photo Album My Photos
Using aerosol lacquer

I'm a beginner woodworker, but all my projects so far have been finished with 2 or 3 coats of brush-on polyurethane. Someone told me to try aerosol lacquer on my next project for a variety of reasons. So, I did. I made sure the surface was smooth and clean, applied the stain, then sprayed on 4 coats of glossy Watco lacquer and finished with a coat of satin. I tried my best to apply as thin a coat as possible each time. I'm not totally happy with the results. I feel slightly rough spots on the finish. I contacted Watco for help. I was told that I probably held the can too far from the surface and the spray was drying before it hit the wood creating a rough surface. She suggested I steel wool the project with 0000 grade wool, then start over holding the can a little closer. Before I do this, does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't have a sprayer, so I'm stuck with aerosol spray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 06:11 PM

View Roger Newby's Photo Album My Photos
I usually spray from about 12" away. The surface should look wet as you spray. Lacquer is a very fast drying finish and can partially dry as you spray if you are too far from the surface. Whenever possible, try to spray on a horizontal surface rather than vertical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Newby For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (09-18-2013), Twokamprs (09-19-2013)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
I have very good results with Deft aerosol laquer from Lowes. They have sanding sealer, gloss, semi gloss, and satin. I have used their products for years with good results.

Joe B. 41
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joeb41 For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (09-18-2013), Twokamprs (09-19-2013), woodman73446 (09-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Alan Sweet

View Alan Sweet's Photo Album My Photos
WRT to spray lacquer..

I am interested in the performance of the spray lacquer on irregular surfaces. Will it dry faster enough not to pool up in areas. Like the recesses in gingerbread molding or decorative molding on a drawer. or in the recesses on an ornate wooden piece.

I have been thinking on trying Deft Clear Satin over a refinished piece which has lots of old ornate decorations.

Your opinion?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Sweet For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-19-2013)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Spray the Deft lightly. It won't run and dries quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTH_3355.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	79591  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-19-2013)
post #6 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 07:59 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twokamprs View Post
I'm a beginner woodworker, but all my projects so far have been finished with 2 or 3 coats of brush-on polyurethane. Someone told me to try aerosol lacquer on my next project for a variety of reasons. So, I did. I made sure the surface was smooth and clean, applied the stain, then sprayed on 4 coats of glossy Watco lacquer and finished with a coat of satin. I tried my best to apply as thin a coat as possible each time. I'm not totally happy with the results. I feel slightly rough spots on the finish. I contacted Watco for help. I was told that I probably held the can too far from the surface and the spray was drying before it hit the wood creating a rough surface. She suggested I steel wool the project with 0000 grade wool, then start over holding the can a little closer. Before I do this, does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't have a sprayer, so I'm stuck with aerosol spray.
also spray a way from you like start in close than spray from you this way the over spray doesn't set on top of the wet serface you just sprayed, this probly is some of the ruffness you feal, i don't use steal wool at all, i sand in between coat's , with 400 grit, this is me , some will use different grit, been doing lacquer for yrs and no problum's here, of course i use a hvlp sprayer , also make sure that their is a wet coat layed down wait a couple min, between coat's, also i would use the sanding sealear first, if you didn't do that and sand than the wood will raise fuzz that is where you may get the little bump's ?? sanding sealer first sand than next coat, use what you are going to end up with , simi gloss or gloss , i don't mix gloss's, i don't like deft, it is to soft for me, thay may have change the form. used to be able to use finger nail and rub it off ?? may be better now ? good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-20-2013), woodman73446 (09-19-2013)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM

View Lilblee's Photo Album My Photos
I sand and seal, sand 400 grit, spray 1st coat, sand 400, second coat sand 600 then final coat, hopefully lol. If something gets into the finish while it is still wet, wait till it dries then fix it. If you try to fix it while wet you will just make a big mess. For best results buy an HVLP

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilblee For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-20-2013)
post #8 of 9 Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 AM

View Lilblee's Photo Album My Photos
And the most important thing is. CLEAN YOUR SHOP WELL BEFORE FINISHING!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
The Following User Says Thank You to Lilblee For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-20-2013)
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb41
I have very good results with Deft aerosol laquer from Lowes. They have sanding sealer, gloss, semi gloss, and satin. I have used their products for years with good results.
I love that stuff.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Twokamprs (09-20-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode