tv lift hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
carport carpenter

View moncrief's Photo Album My Photos
Post tv lift hinges

Hi Does anyone have a suggestion for hinges for a inset concealed lid on a cabinet top for a plasma tv lift ? I'm using the Whisper Ride unit. My material is 1-1/8" oak and I would like for the lid to open at least 90* My doors are all hinged w/Soss 101 hinges. Thanks Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 AM

View Joe Spackle's Photo Album My Photos
Gary I would use the Soss hinges in the lid as well.

I did this one a few yrs ago and they worked fine

post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 AM

View importadvantage's Photo Album My Photos
Hinges

We always use piano hinges on lids. While they are not concealed, they are strong enough to prevent the lid from tearing the hinges off. If there are no children in the house, you may be OK with concealed.http://www.ImportAdvantage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM

View Joe Spackle's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by importadvantage View Post
We always use piano hinges on lids. While they are not concealed, they are strong enough to prevent the lid from tearing the hinges off. If there are no children in the house, you may be OK with concealed.http://www.ImportAdvantage.com
Why would the presence of children be an issue.

I fail to see the advantage of a piano hinge on a top that is supposed to be a furniture piece.

Of course you might have to make a minor addition to the lid to protect it; the one shown above swivels 10* left and right, has been doing so for over three years now

JME
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
A piano hinge would leave the knuckle exposed, which may detract from the look. Alternatives would be barrel hinges, or Soss type hinges, both styles if properly installed have little to no adjustment capabilities, a simplex pivot hinge, or, a euro cup hinge for full inset, for free swinging.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 PM

View importadvantage's Photo Album My Photos
Soss

Young children tend to push he lids manually and the 'Soss' type hinges have a tendency to pull loose when pressure is exerted on them. If 100% concealment is preferred, I would use a 'Soss' hinge with 2 lid stays to make sure that nobody can flip the lid past 90 degrees allowing the lid to pull on the hinges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spackle View Post
Why would the presence of children be an issue.

I fail to see the advantage of a piano hinge on a top that is supposed to be a furniture piece.

Of course you might have to make a minor addition to the lid to protect it; the one shown above swivels 10* left and right, has been doing so for over three years now

JME
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
custom woodworking

View YouNGwOOd's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

The best would be to go with what cabinet man says. Use a simplex pivot hinge or the euro hinge.

"Just as easy to do it the right way......"

HCWSUPPLY.COM Hansen's Supply is a wholesale company that is now online.

RemoteHams.com is a global community for sharing real radios on the web. Enjoy listening to Aircraft, Boats, Ham Radio, Shortwave & more by joining our community today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode