tongue and groove drawer bottom - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

View johnmark's Photo Album My Photos
tongue and groove drawer bottom

so i already made some nice half dovetail and regular dovetails on the sides of a drawer, and i was wanting to do a tongue and groove bottom, but i don't want to put little saw cuts through my beautiful joints.

i'm thinking that i should just mortise and tenon multiple pieces in there and call it a day.

i have access to a table saw, but i don't have access to a gated plow plane. i try to do a lot of my work by hand, but i'm very new and i don't have all the fancy things yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

perhaps i won't really see the cut part, but won't it weaken the joint? i like em tight.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you're making a T&G drawer bottom just to make one, as an example that's one thing. It isn't that dependable or practical. Using plywood for bottoms will work better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

i don't exactly know what you're saying. you named the joint i'm thinking about using, and you said not to use that but use plywood.

i don't use tacks or screws, if that's the implication.

i like the old style joinery. it's a smaller drawer that the bottom pieces would be less than a foot, and wouldn't hold much more than a few knives and a sharpening stone. i think i'll just mortise and tenon them in.

i've thought about doing the whole bottom dovetails just for a whoa effect when you open the drawer, but i'll probably do it poorly and you'd hear chit chit chit chit chit when opening/closing the thing.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
i don't exactly know what you're saying. you named the joint i'm thinking about using, and you said not to use that but use plywood.

i don't use tacks or screws, if that's the implication.

i like the old style joinery. it's a smaller drawer that the bottom pieces would be less than a foot, and wouldn't hold much more than a few knives and a sharpening stone. i think i'll just mortise and tenon them in.

i've thought about doing the whole bottom dovetails just for a whoa effect when you open the drawer, but i'll probably do it poorly and you'd hear chit chit chit chit chit when opening/closing the thing.
I took it from your description that you would be using solid wood for the bottom, and it would be made up of pieces (tongue & grooved). Or, solid wood that the edge was shaped (tongued) to fit a groove in the drawer members.

post #6 of 8 Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

correct.

do you understand the confusion?

you said don't use tongue and groove, use plywood.

i have 4 sides of a drawer that are dovetailed together with no bottom. somehow the bottom needs to attach to the sides. using plywood doesn't imply any sort of joint.

doesn't matter. i'm going to use mortise and tenon. that way i can keep the dovetails in tact and i'll remove a lot less wood. i'll leave them unglued for them to stretch for the seasons.

no need to answer the question. perhaps next time i won't do my half tails right at the bottom, but i'll start a little higher.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Where are you from? Your terminologies make it wicked hard to follow... I offer see that in cultural / country variations though.

How does one mortice and tenon a drawer bottom?

If you want to hide the grooves cut them first and your opposing drawer side is cut to fill it... Or do stopped grooves and notch the corners of the bottom panel.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
You put the plywood in at assembly. The groove is routed around the bottom with hand or power tools. If solid wood is used the grain runs across the drawer and is fastened at the front only so the back floats with moisture changes. Plywood can go in in either orientation and even be trapped by the back. It is not usual to dovetail the back unless it's a box.
Maybe we need pictures?.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode