TiteBond Shelf-life - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tree Hugger
  • 1 Post By MT Stringer

post #1 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
TiteBond Shelf-life

Iíve been using Titebond 2 & 3 for years now. But my issue has been with the shelf-life I seem to get maybe 1 year before it starts breaking down. I normally buy the 16oz bottles. I emailed Titebond support for more info about my issue. And how to decode the numbering printed on the bottle. Iíve asked employees at HomeDepot, Lowes, WoodCraft & Rockler and no one Iíve encounter knew the answer on how to decode the numbers.

So according to Titebond support: Titebond has a ďconservative 24 month shelf life. Can last longer than that with proper storage (cap tightly closed, kept at room temperature)Ē

I live in Texas and itís HOT in my garage in the summers, so Iím sure that does not help for its shelf life. Iíve been considering bringing my bottles inside during those summer months.

Now how to decode those printed numbers:
Here is my example:

A(5)(10)(13)(0013)
A=America
(5) Year
(10) Month
(13) Day
(0013) Was the batch # that day.

The bottle with A510130013 was made in America (A) in 2015 (5) on October (10) thirteenth (13). It was the thirteenth batch made that day (0013).

Armed with this info, next time you go to buy some, you can figure out just how long itís been in a warehouse or on the store shelf to get an idea of how much longer of shelf life it has.

Iíd like to thank Paul Pavka with Titebond for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I have used TBIII for several years to glue cork rings for custom fishing rods. Never had a problem with it. I have had bottles as old as three or four years. Yep, store as per directions. I store mine in a closed cabinet upstairs in a spare room I use. Shop gets a bit cold but never had issues there, either. Thanks for the code, need to check mine.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 09:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For one thing you don't know how long the bottle sat on the store shelf before you bought it. I really haven't had any issue with any brand getting too old. I had one bottle one time that seem to thicken a little so I added a little water and shook it. The only time I've had any issue with storage is when it freezes. It gets clumps in the glue so we used it for things unimportant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 09:37 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I have been buying TB Original by the gallon and haven't had any problems. A gallon usually lasts about a year. My garage/shop is air conditioned so that may help.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 PM

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using TBIII for 10 years and have never had it break down like that. My last bottle I've likely had for 3 years. I have had the caps clogged with dried glue and maybe the glue thicken a little but nothing major. I guess my garage stays between 55 and 85 depending on the time of year.

David
post #6 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 AM
Uncle Fester

View unclefester's Photo Album My Photos
I've gotten so tired of the caps glued shut I'm now washing the cap off in warm water before I put it away.
Not had a problem with shelf life.

Cut it twice, measure once and it's still too short.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 06:33 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
It will last several years( 3, 4, 5 not sure) from my experience. When it gets old it does not break down, it just solidifies. Again I know this from experience.

What numbers on the bottle are you trying to identify?

George
post #8 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 09:21 AM

View Oakwerks's Photo Album My Photos
I've had it get grainy if I leave it in the shop in the winter...
I live in Georgia, and it doesn't freeze, but I now keep it
in the house so it dispenses normally... Never had it go
bad.... I only buy 16 oz at a time ...
post #9 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 09:34 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwerks View Post
I've had it get grainy if I leave it in the shop in the winter...
I live in Georgia, and it doesn't freeze, but I now keep it
in the house so it dispenses normally... Never had it go
bad.... I only buy 16 oz at a time ...
The freezing temperature of glue is higher than that of water. The reason most glues recommend 50 degrees or higher is it freezes below that temperature. Try it sometime with a small amount of glue having the glue and wood at 45 degrees and make a test glue up. The residue on the surface will turn white and the joint should break at the joint when dry.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Ive always felt that time on the shelf is pretty useless in determining if glue is still good. I like the spread test; lay down a bead of glue and try to spread it with your finger. If it spreads well, it's good to use, if it's stringy or clumpy, toss it

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 12 Old 11-29-2016, 06:36 PM

View Tree Hugger's Photo Album My Photos
Just finished up a gallon of II that must be close to 3 years old and opened a fresh gallon.
The old stuff definitely was thickening up but still working well.
MT Stringer and Trujeepr like this.

Knot Stumped ...just confused once in a while.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariahHolt View Post
I’ve been using Titebond 2 & 3 for years now. But my issue has been with the shelf-life I seem to get maybe 1 year before it starts breaking down. I normally buy the 16oz bottles. I emailed Titebond support for more info about my issue. And how to decode the numbering printed on the bottle. I’ve asked employees at HomeDepot, Lowes, WoodCraft & Rockler and no one I’ve encounter knew the answer on how to decode the numbers.

So according to Titebond support: Titebond has a “conservative 24 month shelf life. Can last longer than that with proper storage (cap tightly closed, kept at room temperature)”

I live in Texas and it’s HOT in my garage in the summers, so I’m sure that does not help for its shelf life. I’ve been considering bringing my bottles inside during those summer months.

Now how to decode those printed numbers:
Here is my example:

A(5)(10)(13)(0013)
A=America
(5) Year
(10) Month
(13) Day
(0013) Was the batch # that day.

The bottle with A510130013 was made in America (A) in 2015 (5) on October (10) thirteenth (13). It was the thirteenth batch made that day (0013).

Armed with this info, next time you go to buy some, you can figure out just how long it’s been in a warehouse or on the store shelf to get an idea of how much longer of shelf life it has.

I’d like to thank Paul Pavka with Titebond for the info.
I checked my glue bottle and below is the code (as best as I could read it). The characters were difficult to read.

A404290062

So..."Made in America"
April 29, 2014, batch # 0062

The jug is almost empty so I will be in the market for a new one soon.

The glue still seems to be just fine with no thickening or clumping or anything.

The current level is at the bottom ring about 3/4 inch below the label. :smile3:

As mentioned, my garage (shop) is insulated and air conditioned so the temp is typically room temp no matter what the Texas weather is outside. The shop temperature never gets below 68 or above 80.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-11-30 22.20.48-2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	265810  

Steve Neul likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode