Which of these joints would be the strongest? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Which of these joints would be the strongest?

Or are they all pretty much the same strength?

Note that 2 of them are built by laminating 3 pieces together, while the other 2 are solid. Some people say that glue is as strong as wood, but I'm not sure ...

Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	88033  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I would say #3.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I'm suspecting that they would be very close in strength, with more actually dependent on joinery quality and fit. also when the "strength test" is performed, how is it directed toward the joint. i.e. in joints 3 and 4 the beam will be weaker, an would break easier on any side load test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
I'm suspecting that they would be very close in strength, with more actually dependent on joinery quality and fit. also when the "strength test" is performed, how is it directed toward the joint. i.e. in joints 3 and 4 the beam will be weaker, an would break easier on any side load test.
Exactly!
What direction are the forces? racking? twisting? pulling? pushing?
direct? lateral? combination?
What's the application is what I'm getting at.
I would guess they would all be very strong within a close range.The laminated ones would have some advantages I would think....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

Thanks. They would be for supports for a 40" high table I am thinking about making for my office. Something along these lines:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	88053  

post #6 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
where's my table saw?

I like either no. 1 or no.3 for those verticals and the legs and top supports. It would be easy to do with 3 separate pieces, leaving a gap for the intersection, then gluing all at once. Maybe have a helper with lots of clamps handy... just sayin' Then probably a single tenon for the horizontal brace.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Cant remember where I saw it but there was test of joinery that showed mortise and tenon was the strongest at joining piece perpendicular to each other.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #8 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 07:21 PM

View Pop Pop's Photo Album My Photos
IMO the mortis and tenon joint is stronger than the bridle joint particularly against racking forces. Assuming the glue up is sound and the glued up tenon and mortis fit as well as the cut tenon and mortis the strength would be nearly identical.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I vote for the second one to the right...the solid wood M&T.

post #10 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree with Mike, the M&T would be the strongest. There is a slight mechanical advantage to the M&T joint.

HOWEVER

If the directions provided by the glue manufacturer are followed, the joints are well made and adequate clamping pressure is applied any glued area is stronger than the wood.

My personal experience tearing apart glued joints, TB-III appears to be stronger than Gorilla Polyurethane. In both case it was the wood that failed and not the glue.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #11 of 26 Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I like the second one from the left the best. It is commonly used in through mortise doors.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

thanks guys. good info here!
post #13 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 06:46 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For your application and if the joints are equally well made I think there is no difference.

George
post #14 of 26 Old 01-31-2014, 05:02 PM

View TylerJones's Photo Album My Photos
Like others mentioned any of them would be plenty strong for the application if well executed. In terms of absolute strength, the solid wood M&T is the way to go. The solid wood piece will look significantly better than a laminated one and will allow you to make the bottom horizontal member slightly thicker than the upright which IMO would be a more appealing look for this specific design.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There is likely little difference in strength in any of the joints shown with proper workmanship. In all of them the racking strength is greater in the direction with the shoulders.

Putting a shoulder on all four sides of the tenon would add racking strength in all directions.

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/fn...81%2982-86.pdf

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 02-02-2014 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (02-02-2014)
post #16 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

How about finger joints, or multiple tenon joints? Since they provide more glue surfaces, I am thinking they are probably stronger?
post #17 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM

View TylerJones's Photo Album My Photos
Multiple tenons are called for from time to time, I use them in some designs. If you don't have a very fine tuned method for cutting them however they just add another element to get right or wrong.

Finger joints would serve no functional purpose in this application.

With the design you presented you have zero concerns with strength. A single M&T or two of them, you could stand on the top and be fine. I guarantee my pieces for life and I would feel fine delivering that piece with a single well cut M&T. Two won't hurt, but won't increase the functional strength by ANY measurable amount. If you are concerned, you can peg the tenons from the inside of each leg with a peg that goes 2/3 of the way through.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 04:34 PM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
What no one seems to have addressed here is that assuming the premise that glue is at least as strong as wood is correct, #3 is by far the least work to get a perfect fit.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM
where's my table saw?

that's what I was thinkin' here

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I like either no. 1 or no.3 for those verticals and the legs and top supports. It would be easy to do with 3 separate pieces, leaving a gap for the intersection, then gluing all at once. Maybe have a helper with lots of clamps handy... just sayin' Then probably a single tenon for the horizontal brace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy View Post
What no one seems to have addressed here is that assuming the premise that glue is at least as strong as wood is correct, #3 is by far the least work to get a perfect fit.
I also think a laminated piece is "stronger" than a solid piece in most applications, hence laminated beams where strength matters. It may not have the desired look or style so that would rule it out.

It seems to me that the most important issue here is "racking" along the length of the table rather than across it's width. It will want to shear off any tenons that don't have enough shoulder to stop it from moving. The bridal joint in no. 3 will have more resistance to that, in my opinion. I would like to see a load test on these joints, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Thanks for the interesting discussion Chris.

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
Or are they all pretty much the same strength?

Note that 2 of them are built by laminating 3 pieces together, while the other 2 are solid. Some people say that glue is as strong as wood, but I'm not sure ...

Your thoughts?
The way your question reads is which selection would be the strongest. You didn't specify under a variety of conditions, such as certain directional forces. So, I stand by my choice of the solid M&T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode