Table Top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

View www2b's Photo Album My Photos
Table Top

Hi, I am trying to make a table top with pine. My plan was to make it out of oak but was having trouble cutting the oak to the right thickness. That problem has been solved but during that process I decided to make a top out of pine. Kinda as a temporary top, (I want this table ready for Christmas). So I used my biscuit joiner and glue. I am always so careful every time I use that darn tool. But every time I join the edges, they are off just slightly and require a lot of sanding. I simply cannot understand what the problem is. When I cut the biscuit I am super careful to keep everything lined up and level. This has been an issue for years. But before I get ready to join the oak, I need to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 08:34 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Did all the parts fit together before cutting the biscuits in?
From what I've seen, most people glue a table top together, THEN plane it flat. It's not expected to be a perfectly flat top without planing.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

View www2b's Photo Album My Photos
They seemed to fit pretty well. So why don't they fit perfect. The joiner cuts the slot on both sides in the same place. I try to sand it flat but then always gets wavy. So I should be using a hand planer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 01:17 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Are gluing the top up in one go, or are you doing it a couple boards at a time, then gluing those sections together, that way you have only one joint to contend with at a time.
Biscuits are not really necessary, either for alignment or strength, a good fitting but joint clamped side to side and with cawls lining up the top will give better results.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #5 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
2 projects for a biscuit joiner

This thread I started about my use of a biscuit joiner for the first and then second time. I learned a few things along the way. There's 2 ways to use the dang thing, with the fence as supplied and secondly use the base flat on the work table. When using the fence the boards are placed "good side up". When using the work table the boards are placed and clamped "good side down". I used both methods in this thread:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/bi...t-buddy-48967/

Biscuit joints and "junk joinery" according to some and don't really add strength, AND may cause alignment issues if you aren't careful when registering the machine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You can't expect wood to fall together level even if you use biscuits. When I clamp together a table top I first just snug the wood together with glue. Then I use an 8lb sledge hammer and a block of wood and hammer the wood down flat. Once I achieve that I fully tighten the clamps.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
2 projects for a biscuit joiner

I started this thread about my use of a biscuit joiner for the first and then second time. I learned a few things along the way. There's 2 ways to use the dang thing. First, with the fence as supplied and secondly use the base flat on the work table. When using the factory fence, the boards are placed "good side up". When using the work table, the boards are placed and clamped "good side down". I used the second method in this thread:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/bi...t-buddy-48967/

Biscuit joints are "junk joinery" according to some and don't really add strength, AND may cause alignment issues if you aren't careful when registering the machine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-06-2016 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode