Table leg attachment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

View Puumies's Photo Album My Photos
Table leg attachment

Hi,

I need to attach table legs straight to corner of the table top and I have never done such a joint. Does anybody know good methods?

Pauli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puumies View Post
Hi,

I need to attach table legs straight to corner of the table top and I have never done such a joint. Does anybody know good methods?

Pauli

A few questions:

What type of table...dining, cocktail, end, corner, outdoor?

What is the top size?

What is the top material and thickness?

Is the underside flat out to the edge, or is there an apron/skirting on the edge that protrudes down?

What is the leg material and its thickness at the point of attachment?

post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

It's a dining room table made of white oak. It's 4 cm thick (about 1,5 inch), 90*180 cm (about 36"*72") and underside is indeed flat and straight to edges. Legs are going to be about 3*3".
Pauli

Last edited by Puumies; 05-08-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: I messed up with inches...We use metric system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you could install an apron or skirt to the underside, like 1 1/2" - 2", and recess it say an inch or so from the edge, that would hide a built up bracing for an attachment.

But, if you can't do that and you just have to mount the legs in a butt method, the easiest way would be to use a hanger screw. It has a wood thread on one end and a machine thread on the other.

On the bottom of the table top install a threaded insert. It threads into a specific sized hole drilled into the wood, and accepts the machine thread.

post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I didn't want use hardware, so I decided to make dovetails. Those seems to be strong joints even in dry fitting. I'll use glue in assembly and I'm pretty confident that those will last long time.
Table leg attachment-liitos.jpg

Table leg attachment-liitos_auki.jpg
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Me thinks you did this before!

I was thinking maybe a through mortice but I didn't know the leg would be edge flush. A through mortice would probably need to be moved inboard a bit.

Last edited by mics_54; 05-10-2010 at 12:44 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2010, 12:50 AM

View rodney's Photo Album My Photos
tableleg attachment

My experience with this type of dove tail joinery is fine if the table is not going to receive hard use, i.e. children leaning, pushing, etc. The constant pressure of hard use added to the natural tendency of wood movement, expansion, and shrinking due to heat, humidity, cold, hot, and how the wood was cut and dried may, in a few years, loosen the joint (even with the best of glue) and create a wobble affect. I would agree with the full or half skirt with tendon/mortise joinery, followed with two pegs through each tendon, and finshed with a cross brace on the inside that attaches to each skirt with an attachment, i.e. bolt or dowel, in the middle of the table leg on the inside. over the long run, this method seems to give the most lasting stability to the table legs.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 AM

View jp_over's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puumies View Post
I didn't want use hardware, so I decided to make dovetails. Those seems to be strong joints even in dry fitting. I'll use glue in assembly and I'm pretty confident that those will last long time.
Attachment 14878

Attachment 14879
Puumies,

How did this joint work out long term? Did you end up keeping that design or changing it?

I realize this is an old thread but found it while searching for a similar woodworking question.

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2019, 12:31 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
When I see work arounds for aprons, it always reminds me why furniture has had them for hundreds of years That said, its a novel idea and I can see you did some nice work and put a lot of thought into it.

But I would be concerned about the integrity of the joint for a few reasons. A dovetail is always stronger in the cross grain direction. With this in mind, if you'll take note of the grain direction with side ways pressure the wood could break out along the grain. The offset dado to the inside actually creates a pivot point so if the bottom of the leg is hit a lot of torque will be transmitted to the joint.

Please I'm not intending to pick your work apart I just wanted give my POV and would love to hear what others think. That's how we all learn.

Its oak and will most likely be ok, but I think there are other woods that you might have an issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode