Strongest glue for tiny pieces of wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

View jarboejoe's Photo Album My Photos
Strongest glue for tiny pieces of wood

I want to make some guitar picks by gluing several plies of different exotic woods together. Since picks are only about 2.5 millimeters thick and the strips would have to be approx 1/8 of an inch wide, what would be the strongest glue to use.

I would also need a little moisture and heat resistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, i know this isnt technically joinery but didnt see a better forum to post it in.

Also, i mean i guess i could use titebond 2, but just never really felt like titebond was very strong.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

View 2lim's Photo Album My Photos
FOr laminated picks, what I would do is use a CA glue(crazy glue). Glue up the "blank", cut your picks to size, sand to thickness, then recoat the whole thing with more CA glue, and sand/polish it out. That would give it more stability as well as great moisture resistance, and some more stability.

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
Tite Bond is the big name. From what I`ve seen its bond is stronger than the wood. Thickness of the material shouldn`t matter so long as its as smooth as possible. Place the sufraces together with glue on them then shift them back and fourth untill they dont want to slide anymore. Whipe off the excess, clamp it, leave it over nighgt, and you should be good. There are several kinds of tite bond, I usually use tite bond 3 bc it has a longer set time allowing a little time to get it right.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I'm a picker. Deerring Sierra and a bunch of guitars.
You have to make a bunch of them with different grain directions.
I'd guess the grain at right angles to the strings would be the most durable.
In any direction, they will wear as hard as the wood at that particular place.

Mash those suckers FLAT with several different adhesives. I'd make some sandwiches and prune/sand them down after the fact. Do the experiments.

For wood carving, I do a lot of glue-ups with mahogany and rosewood for tool handles. I think that they look good and, for me, the wood is dirt cheap. Strips maybe 1/8" thick, 6-8 per handle, maybe 10" long. I build 6 at a time, just in case I get the hot & steamies to buy some new blades.

I wish you well, man. It's a journey of exploration. I hope you earn some successes.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

CA glue actually works good for wood?

and yea i havent decided how to finish them yet. It's something i think i will experiment with, definitely think unfinished vs finished will affect the tone and grip.

I am actually thinking about making a DIY vacuum chamber so i can start stabilizing my own wood
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM

View OldEd's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post

For wood carving, I do a lot of glue-ups with mahogany and rosewood for tool handles. I think that they look good and, for me, the wood is dirt cheap. .
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE????? Can I get some of your off-cuts?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode