Is This Strong Enough? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

View TromboneAl's Photo Album My Photos
Is This Strong Enough?

Quick question: I'm almost done making this support for a platform bed (queen-sized mattress). The wood is clear fir, 2x4s and 4x4s. The 4x4s are 16.5 inches long.

You can see how I joined the rails to the legs. They are glued and screwed. 3/4 inch plywood will be screwed on the top, and a full panel will be glued and screwed onto the end part. My wife and I weigh under 160 each.

Is this strong enough, or do I need to add triangular shear supports?

Thanks!

- Al

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Your frame doesn't have a center support like your drawing shows. Queen size is 60"x80",how are you cutting the plywood, and supporting the seam? If you screw, or glue and screw the plywood for the top, that should eliminate racking. You may get some movement between the legs and the rails, but it may be only minimal.

post #3 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I eliminated the center support when I went to 3/4 inch plywood. I cut the two sheets of plywood as you'd expect (61 x 48 and 61 x 34.5) , and I plan to not support the seam at all. I'll see if any sway or bounce is noticeable, but I doubt it. If there is too much bounce, I'll support the seam with more plywood glued on underneath.

Is This Strong Enough?-dscn3608.jpg

So you're saying I don't need to reinforce the corners, which is what I think as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to say something regarding the bounce factor, but decided I'll keep my mouth shut. I agree with c'man

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #5 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
You are going to need that center suppoet for the long run best doing now than regreting later

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
You really do need a center support running from side to side with a fifth leg in the center. Else it WILL sag. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon. And for the rest of your lives.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I wood if I could.

You may be able to get by without a center leg if you're using a single box spring. But if your bed use two separate box springs you definitely ned the fifth leg. But I think you'll need that center support beam regardless.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
You really do need a center support running from side to side with a fifth leg in the center. Else it WILL sag. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon. And for the rest of your lives.
I'd be surprised. I put the narrower sheet of plywood across two 2x4s that were apart the same amount as the side rails. I then stood on it at the center, and bounced up and down. The sheet hardly budged. And when sleeping (etc. ) there will be a very thick mattress on top of the the plywood.

But maybe you're right -- I'll know tomorrow.

If I do need more support, it won't be difficult to remove the plywood and add another 2x4 -- though I think I'd run it from head to foot.

But if the legs aren't secure, I'd risk that the entire thing would collapse and I'd have to start over. But I sure don't see that happening.

Thanks for the input!
post #9 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM
I wood if I could.

By the way, the "maybe not today..."stuff was there in an attempt to be funny. It's from some old movie.

Anyway, do what works. But if you add a center support, side to side would be more rigid than head to toe.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I was going to say something regarding the bounce factor, but decided I'll keep my mouth shut. I agree with c'man

I would say it needs a center support too, sure wouldn't want the bed to fail at a bad time
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

This is with all my weight in the center, not distributed, on the narrower plywood, with no support from the head and foot rails.
Is This Strong Enough?-dscn3628.jpg
post #12 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
I wood if I could.

There's reasons all queen and king-sized bed frames have a center support (hint: it's not for looks). One is for support. The other is to prevent the sides from bowing and allowing the bed to fall through. Your plywood may prevent the falling through but over time I doubt it'll completely prevent sagging. A bed that sags towards the middle is incredibly annoying. I know. Been there.

post #13 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I wood if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is with all my weight in the center, not distributed, on the narrower plywood, with no support from the head and foot rails.
Attachment 37221
Now add the weight of the box spring(s), mattress and your wife. This is some pretty heavy plywood you have there though. Will you cover the entire thing in a single sheet? If not, where will the seam be? The seam (if any) will be the weakest point and will need support.

EDIT: I see you did mention a seam and said you do not plan to support it. Oh well, I tried. Personally, I think you're asking for trouble.

Last edited by Chaincarver Steve; 02-01-2012 at 10:30 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

All done. Thanks for the tips, but there's no way that an additional support or leg is necessary. Perhaps you just have to be here. When we lie on the bed, or even jump on it, you can't feel any give. It's just as if the mattress were on the floor.

I even decided to leave some space between the two pieces of plywood, so that I could get more air flow. We live where it's very humid, and this whole project was done to replace the drawers frame that was under the bed until now. The drawers got slightly moldy from the humidity, and we couldn't keep anything in them.

Here are some final pictures.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 02-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I wood if I could.

Well, you're the one there in person. So you would know better than anyone how solid it is. I'm glad to see that you have the seam running side to side. That's the strongest option because the span is shorter. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, by the way. It looks nice. Sweet dreams!
post #16 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
All done. Thanks for the tips, but there's no way that an additional support or leg is necessary. Perhaps you just have to be here. When we lie on the bed, or even jump on it, you can't feel any give. It's just as if the mattress were on the floor.

I even decided to leave some space between the two pieces of plywood, so that I could get more air flow. We live where it's very humid, and this whole project was done to replace the drawers frame that was under the bed until now. The drawers got slightly moldy from the humidity, and we couldn't keep anything in them.

Here are some final pictures.

Thanks again for the help.

Nice job. How did you end up fastening your trim to the plywood? I see the fasteners you used but was curious if you have a dado on the trim that the ply fits into. Can't tell from the pic.

Thanks
post #17 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5151 View Post
Nice job. How did you end up fastening your trim to the plywood? I see the fasteners you used but was curious if you have a dado on the trim that the ply fits into. Can't tell from the pic.

Thanks
I can't take any credit for it, but there was a rabbet at the bottom of the headboard and the "footboard." So those fit right over the ends of the plywood. In addition there are two L brackets on each side. Larger L bracket attached the headboard and footboard with the sides. All that stuff was part of the original bed.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, by the way.
I understand -- no problem. Actually, the seam had to go from side-to-side -- the only reason for the seam was that I couldn't buy any plywood that was 82 inches long. :)

------------------------

This will be a great forum for my occasional carpentry questions, but if you don't see me around, it's only because I already have too many hobbies, and probably won't do much woodworking.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 PM

View mackem's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Al . You've made a very
nice bed there, and thanks for the pics.

Kevin.

“There are no secrets in woodworking, and everything should be shared.” Sam Maloof
post #19 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Its a real nice looking bed. However, looking at the "mattress" I have to ask. Is this a sleep comfort "air" mattress of some kind?

The guys are right about needing support at the seam. In time it is going to show sagging no matter how strong it seems right now, plus you have weakened the plywood by cutting all those holes.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #20 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM

View Poodle Head Mikey's Photo Album My Photos
Ahhhhh . . . Casablanca fan eh?

Ahhhhh . . . Casablanca fan eh?

PHM
-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
. . . . You really do need a center support running from side to side with a fifth leg in the center. Else it WILL sag. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow . . . . But soon. And for the rest of your lives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodle Head Mikey For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (02-02-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode