• 1 Post By Tennessee Tim
  • 1 Post By 35015
  • 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By GuitarPhotographer
  • 2 Post By MT Stringer

post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

View JamesN's Photo Album My Photos
Stove Top Cover Glue Up Problem

Hey, I’m building a stove top for my dads friend. It is in two parts, to allow her to only take off one side to use the right hand burners and heat knobs. I’m trying to glue it up but i can’t figure out how. There’s only 3 sides, 2 of which have miter joints on them. And the top will sit flush to the sides. because there’s no 3rd side, i can’t use a strap clamp because it just pulls the bottom in ward. And i can’t use corner clamps because the top has to sit flush. And i don’t have clamps that fit that wide (although i could buy them if i really need to). So if anyone has an idea it would be great to hear it! Thanks!

Here’s a pic of the left half of the stove top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	829C5063-6288-4059-BCBD-FC56EAAB089D_1521670823546.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	350298  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
To me, what you are doing is a significant safety problem. I do not want ANY stove top covers that are made of flammable material. There are just too many scenarios where they could accidentally catch fire.

If your friend insists on it then fine. Do what he/she wants, but be sure that they understand the potential hazards.

George
post #3 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
No wood on a stove top! Dangerous! James, if there was a fire, it could come back to haunt you.....and your attorney.
Tennessee Tim and 35015 like this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Hey, I’m building a stove top for my dads friend. It is in two parts, to allow her to only take off one side to use the right hand burners and heat knobs. I’m trying to glue it up but i can’t figure out how. There’s only 3 sides, 2 of which have miter joints on them. And the top will sit flush to the sides. because there’s no 3rd side, i can’t use a strap clamp because it just pulls the bottom in ward. And i can’t use corner clamps because the top has to sit flush. And i don’t have clamps that fit that wide (although i could buy them if i really need to). So if anyone has an idea it would be great to hear it! Thanks!

Here’s a pic of the left half of the stove top.
Hello James,

I'm sorry...Like the others this is a really...BAD, HORRID, SCARY...idea!!!!

Soapstone...Tile...Glass...Custom Ceramic...2" Mineral Wool Board with decorative copper cladding...etc...NOTHING that can burn!!!!

These aren't "worry wart" concerns. This happens all the time and burns houses down...!!!

Please walk away from this project or suggest changes to friend/client!!!

Respectfully Submitted,

j
Tennessee Tim likes this.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Chalk me up as another person pointing out this is a bad idea. Heat and wood is a bad idea.

Concerning the glueup issue, theres no reason you couldnt have a 4th piece in place for the glueup so you could use your strap clamp, just dont glue the 4th piece

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 07:44 PM
nonmember

View Woodknack's Photo Album My Photos
Putting fire issues aside, you can clamp a wide panel with short clamps by using your bench hooks. Put a bench hook on each side pointing toward the middle of the panel, and then clamp the hooks pulling them together. Youll need stout bench hooks. Much harder to explain than to show or do. I'm on my phone but I'll see if I can find a picture and post it.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

View JamesN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodknack View Post
Putting fire issues aside, you can clamp a wide panel with short clamps by using your bench hooks. Put a bench hook on each side pointing toward the middle of the panel, and then clamp the hooks pulling them together. Youll need stout bench hooks. Much harder to explain than to show or do. I'm on my phone but I'll see if I can find a picture and post it.
I was able to figure it out. I was planning on doweling the sides on to the top after the frame was glued up, but i decided to dowel on one side to the top then i’ll just go from there.

Concerning the safety issues...Making it out of wood was what she insisted on. And it’s really only an issue if you leave the flame on when you place the cover back on top. And she’s “social” i guess, so she will mostly have it on during parties or whatever for extra counter space.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I was able to figure it out. I was planning on doweling the sides on to the top after the frame was glued up, but i decided to dowel on one side to the top then i’ll just go from there.

Concerning the safety issues...Making it out of wood was what she insisted on. And it’s really only an issue if you leave the flame on when you place the cover back on top. And she’s “social” i guess, so she will mostly have it on during parties or whatever for extra counter space.
I'm social too.....I made many a STUPID firecalls as a fire chief due to lack of........(you fill in the blank as you fit BUT WE couldn't write tickets for Lack of common sense A.K.A. stupidity) on a homeowner OR a so called tradesman.....I worked a fire once where a business owner had a trades/shop teacher build him a steel smoker to put against a wood building AND he did it......to TOP that on off the building inspector for safety had them put a single piece of 5-V tin mounted DIRECTLY to wood building with screws AND place smoker against it with 0" airspace!!!! AND we wonder why it caught on fire?!?!?! DUH !!!!

NOT on my LIABILITY!!!! She'd HAVE to find someone else....with the insurance and court system in place today, you'd be found holding the bag at your expense....EVEN IF you got a waiver signed, they'd say "....it was obvious you knew better or you would'nt had a waiver signed.....guilty!!!"

Sorry mate, tell pops your saving your hide...hard feelings can be forgotten....somebody's loss is hard to bear.
35015 likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tennessee Tim For This Useful Post:
35015 (03-22-2018)
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 08:33 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe we don't understand what he has written. It is possible.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

Hi James,

I'm sorry that many of us "seemed to" just grind on this in a negative way...BUT!!!

Tennessee Tim went and did what I wanted to avoid...(Good for him)...!!!...and gave you some "real world" life experience examples of this being a really bad idea.

Your common sense isn't in question, nor even of the young woman you are making this for...Not at all from my perspective.

The "common sense" and "ignorance I, and the other posters (correct me if I am wrong guy's!?) is that..."IDIOT"...at one of her parties that doesn't have the common sense "God gave a Gopher!"

He/She's the one that will cause a fire that then burns a structure done...!!!

Tennessee Tim (and now me) are trying to really express examples of exactly what we have seen in our lives from... things that can burn... being put on things that cause them to...It happens all the time and that's why this is really a bad idea...

Please make this by all mean...

BUT!!!!!!

...Please make it out of something that does not catch fire...Its not that difficult a change or fix...

j

Last edited by 35015; 03-22-2018 at 09:33 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
walk away, no run.....

Quote:

You can't allow this to happen. Murphy's Law says .... If it can go wrong, (burn down) it will. It's only human to screw up occasionallly, so keep flammables away from flames.

I have an electrical smooth surface cooktop which I never use. I have it covered with a same size piece of Lexan to protect it from things that are stored on top. The breaker to this device is turned off at the panel. There is no way it can be turn on ... accidentally.
I am the only person who knows which breaker it is and where it is.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
35015 (03-22-2018)
post #12 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 09:50 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I did much the same thing. I had a gas stove that went out so I turned the gas off and covered it with a piece of plywood with formica on it. Just used an electric cooktop on the stove until we could find a replacement stove.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I did much the same thing. I had a gas stove that went out so I turned the gas off and covered it with a piece of plywood with formica on it. Just used an electric cooktop on the stove until we could find a replacement stove.
But you turned the gas to the stove off, so there was no possibility of a burner being lit under the wood cover. The OP wants to put it on a working stove.

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
post #14 of 14 Old 03-22-2018, 01:59 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I read all the replies and I agree. Don't do it.

So it's in two pieces. What happens when some idiot comes along and lights the burner on the wrong side. They don't see fire so they try another burner until one does show a flame. Could be disastrous.

As for the lady...I don't think she knows what is at stake.

Don't do it.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode