Stopped Dado - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View Kahlua's Photo Album My Photos
Stopped Dado

I was planning out a dvd rack to free up some room in the house, and thought about making the sides of the rack come out a bit further than the shelves. I wanted to simply use a dado and slide the shelves into the dado for the joint, but in my vision of the unit I don't want there to be a dado cut the entire length of the side of the box, since the shelves would be ~4'' back from the front. (I have no idea if this makes sense to anyone)

So, I had 2 thoughts.

1. Use a marking on my table saw ( I don't have a router, that's why this is an issue) and start from the back and have the marker tell me where to stop the cut, and then use a chisel to clear the little ramp that would be left from the saw.

or - super crazy beware

2. Rip the ~4'' piece off of the sides, dado the larger piece, and then join the two pieces back together. This way I could just run the dado through the whole board and not have to worry about chiseling out any pieces, and still have my few inches of clean non-dado'd board sticking out.

Should I just beg/borrow/steal a router from someone to make these dado's, or is this something I can semi-easily do on the table saw + chisel or rip/glue?

Or should I just use dowels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
You could also dado the whole length and glue back in a filler. It would need to be pretty close fit to keep from having a gap, but could be a little thicker so you can sand it flush after.

Name:  image-2998678828.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  49.6 KB

Kinda like I did here.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
To glue them on the face of the board use cauls and clamps.

Name:  image-3995716362.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.9 KB

Last edited by rayking49; 12-12-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM

View wooddude's Photo Album My Photos
i would stay with the stopped dado concept,and notch the front of your shelves to run past the ramp u wre talking about
post #5 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddude View Post
i would stay with the stopped dado concept,and notch the front of your shelves to run past the ramp u wre talking about
That sounds smart. Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM

View wooddude's Photo Album My Photos
this is what i call relishing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relish.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	57031  

post #7 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
I was planning out a dvd rack to free up some room in the house, and thought about making the sides of the rack come out a bit further than the shelves. I wanted to simply use a dado and slide the shelves into the dado for the joint, but in my vision of the unit I don't want there to be a dado cut the entire length of the side of the box, since the shelves would be ~4'' back from the front. (I have no idea if this makes sense to anyone)

So, I had 2 thoughts.

1. Use a marking on my table saw ( I don't have a router, that's why this is an issue) and start from the back and have the marker tell me where to stop the cut, and then use a chisel to clear the little ramp that would be left from the saw.

or - super crazy beware

2. Rip the ~4'' piece off of the sides, dado the larger piece, and then join the two pieces back together. This way I could just run the dado through the whole board and not have to worry about chiseling out any pieces, and still have my few inches of clean non-dado'd board sticking out.

Should I just beg/borrow/steal a router from someone to make these dado's, or is this something I can semi-easily do on the table saw + chisel or rip/glue?

Or should I just use dowels?
I would use the stop dado method on the table saw. With a stacking dado and some shims you can get the dado width set for an exact fit to your shelf material. Usually, I just notch the shelf back far enough to clear the dado slope or if the shelves are not very deep then you could take out the slope with a chisel. The router method is a good one also if you have the right router bit to match the thickness of the shelves.

I wouldn't use dowels.

Bret
post #8 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You could mark a line on the saw fence and drop cut the dado. Do it very slow and be very careful. It has the real potential of kicking back so don't have your hands in line with the blade.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
You could mark a line on the saw fence and drop cut the dado. Do it very slow and be very careful. It has the real potential of kicking back so don't have your hands in line with the blade.
Well, if the dado goes all the way to the back of the piece, it's not a problem, since I'm going to put a back over the whole shelf. I just don't want there to be notches all the way to the front since the individual shelves won't be going all the way to the front of the whole thing.

It's either that or use some gangsta blocks on the side and screw the shelves into them instead of using any actual joinery.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
Well, if the dado goes all the way to the back of the piece, it's not a problem, since I'm going to put a back over the whole shelf. I just don't want there to be notches all the way to the front since the individual shelves won't be going all the way to the front of the whole thing.

It's either that or use some gangsta blocks on the side and screw the shelves into them instead of using any actual joinery.
That would be easier. You could make two different setups for left and right side and run the dado up to your stopping point and just shut the saw off to pick the side. Then the shelves you could cut one end with a radius to match the cut of the saw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode