5Likes
  • 3 Post By John Smith_inFL
  • 1 Post By Ed'sGarage
  • 1 Post By Rodango

post #1 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
STained Glass Frame

my wife does some stained glass from time to time and has recently been completing her most recent project to hang in our lanai (piazza in the back of the house). Although the lanai is screened in, it is also affected by the elements. In an effort to help out, I suggested hanging her recent project in a shop made frame of cedar. Making the frame is relatively simple, but joining the corners is a bit more challenging, given the weight of the stained glass project. The project measures about 24 inches square and probably weighs in the vicinity of 8 lbs +. So, my thought was after cutting the mitres on the frame was to join them with L brackets. I'm going to use 1 x 2 cedar with a groove to hold the stained glass. Anyone having a suggestion on the joinery is welcome to chime in. I don't like the idea of an L Bracket. I would prefer to do something that cannot be seen, but haven't come up with any ideas yet.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would half-lap the corners for rigidity and a rabbet
in the back to allow for the glass removal, if ever required.
put in a little extra effort to make your wife's project look extra special.

STained Glass Frame-mitered-opener.jpg

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

Wow, John, great idea. Never thought of doing a half lap and then mitering it. Strong, neat and good looking joint. The rabbet on the back is a + and makes it easy if the glass needs to be removed for any reason later. Thanks for the input.
John Smith_inFL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 12:14 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
Ed - please remember to come back when the project is hung and displayed.
seems like a very interesting addition to your piazza.
I was stationed in an old Italian town back in the mid '70s (Sardinia) and every
afternoon about 5:00 the local townspeople got out and walked around the Piazza
for a few hours to visit with their friends before dinner. I really miss that quiet life style.

John

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2020, 01:37 PM

View Mystri's Photo Album My Photos
My mother does stained glass and father uses wood U trim to make frames for her - there is a size that just fits the standard glass thickness with a little solder on it, then they do a little silicone to handle a little bit of expansion/contraction in the wood.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM

View Rodango's Photo Album My Photos
@John Smith_inFL visiting Spain, many of the towns had an area called Rambla or Las Ramblas.
In Barcelona it was about a km long, with vendors and carts in the center, and shops on both sides.
People would make the walk, couples with pairs of older womwen chaparoning, couples with kids,
plain folks. Similar to the piazzas in Italia
John Smith_inFL likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-31-2020, 07:42 PM
Jack of too many trades..

View RepairmanJack's Photo Album My Photos
Oh hey, I do stained glass myself. It's actually one of the reasons that I learned to make window sashes and one of the reasons I call myself "Jack of Too Many Trades".

Is this leaded or foil? is is already framed in H or U channel lead came or soldered? The nature of the how the edges are treated will influence your best choice for framing.

Me personally... I would use cabinet, or more specifically sash-window joinery and mount it what would essential be a casement or storm window frame.
The Following User Says Thank You to RepairmanJack For This Useful Post:
furnacefighter15 (08-01-2020)
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2020, 08:28 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I have made one for a client, it was a challenge, it was an arch shape and the curves where not symmetrical or smooth. It was 36x24, I did the frame out of mahogany and used dowels for the joints. He was very happy and he gave more than I quoted him, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it, now I take pictures of everything.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Creator of Sawdust

stained glass

I know my wife foils the edges of the glass before she joins/connects all the pieces with solder. The piece is 24 " sq. I'm still studying the you tube videos of the half lap mitres. Even simple mitres confuse my old brain when working different ends of the stock; so you can just imagine how the half lap mitre is treating me ! Besides, right now in Florida, it's really hot in my shop, so I'm in no hurry to go out there in this heat. The bulk of my shop work is done Fall, Winter and Spring. I tend to do other stuff in the heat of the summer. Will definitely post pics of the finished product when done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode