Speakeasy door construction - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
EdM

View EdM's Photo Album My Photos
Speakeasy door construction

I was wondering if you should glue the individual tongue and groove planks that make up the center of my door. The overall center panel after itís assembled will be glued to the stiles and the top and bottom rails. I am concerned about expansion and contraction and not sure how to handle this. I am attaching the diagram I put together.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eds cabin door.pdf (1.58 MB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-02-2019, 03:34 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Yes you can glue the tongue and groove boards together but where it fits into the frame of the door it should float loose. Over time the center panel will shrink and if you glue it into the frame when the panel shrinks it will split to relieve the stress.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-02-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
EdM

Thank you, that is just the opposite of how I thought to proceed. I assume to still leave a bit more depth to the groove than the length of the tongue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-02-2019, 04:07 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Thank you, that is just the opposite of how I thought to proceed. I assume to still leave a bit more depth to the groove than the length of the tongue.
Whether it is a house door or cabinet door the center panels are always left loose using solid wood and depending on the size of the door the panels are anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" smaller in width than the rails are long. The panel can shrink but in humid weather they can swell up pushing the door apart if there isn't enough clearance. For cabinet doors they make a product called space balls which are rubber balls you put in the grooves of the stiles to keep the panel from rattling.

"I assume to still leave a bit more depth to the groove than the length of the tongue." I'm not exactly understanding that statement. If you mean the length of the tongue on the rails they should be made to fit as snug as possible. Any air spaces there will weaken the door.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-03-2019, 02:17 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
The panel should be loose to account for wood expansion (you can add spacers to keep it from rattling) but the actual tongue and grooved pieces that make up the panel should be glued. A lot of panels these days are made with a plywood core to avoid warping (and cut down on cost).

What are the circles you have drawn on there by the way?

-T
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
EdM

Thanks for the feedback, not sure what you mean about circles in the drawing unless you are speaking of the 1.5" decorative iron large head nails.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Thanks for the feedback, not sure what you mean about circles in the drawing unless you are speaking of the 1.5" decorative iron large head nails.

Figured that's what they were. Those will look nice on that style of door

-T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode