Slab table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 10-02-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Shamus

View Hawkdriver's Photo Album My Photos
Slab table top

One to my next project with slab wood my first turned out great with the help from all you experts. Need a little input on this Please forgive me if these seem like basic question I just want to ensure I’m doing things right as my wife really wants this table looking good

Project 3 slab edge joint kitchen table. 3 slabs totaling 40’wx 6ftx2in thick.

Currently the slabs are varying thickness difference of about 1/2 throughout I think at the thinnest I’ll get 1 3/4 to 2 in after said and done. I plan on building router sled to hog off material until level. Edge joining possibly with dowels if needed for alignment purposes only if recommended.

Question should I route down 1 by1 or join and route as one. Seems logical to me to join than route. But concerned with alignment with varying thickness.

Would you advise to dowl for alignment

Anything underneat cleats Battens etc for support. Ultimately being mounted to steel stock base which I will allow for side to side movement.

Anything else you would recommend before I get rolling I’d love to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I would experiment first

Lay then down on some saw horses to see which ones mate together best, having the bottoms as a reference. Flip them around to see which grains look best from the top. I don't know how you will glue them together IF you don't have straight and square edges. Do you plan to the straighten all the edges? You can leave the outside edges "live", but the interior mating edges should be straightened. On the saw horses, you can easily reach underneath to put a shim so they will level out best. You can't do that on a solid surface table.

I would let them "self adjust" when gluing them up rather than trying to use dowels, BUT plan on flattening BOTH sides. Adjust them under the router to remove a minimum amount of material and still get them as flat as possible.

See what you get when done as suggested above. A photo would help after that.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-02-2018 at 02:50 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-02-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Shamus

View Hawkdriver's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry I should have mentioned planning on ripping straight edge with circ on center board as well as one straight edge on each side board leaving live edge on outside. After rip planning on flush cut router to clean up the rough edge prior to glue.

So if I’m understanding correctly your saying dry fit everything nice and as flat as I can get on top, glue and clamp up, once dry routing both sides flat. Not quite at the point of pictures yet this will be a winter project recently removed bark now to rough sand or plane to see grain and how things lay out At which point than I’ll be moving on to gluing up So your not an advocate of dowl just get good edge and glue? I good with that it’s just one additional step I really didn’t want to do if I don’t have to. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode