simple chair repair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
simple chair repair

Simple chair repair. The backs on our old Kmart chars are getting loose. Would it work for me to drive some kind of wedge into the bottom of the stick, or . . . ? See pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair_1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	378317  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 02:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That would be a partial "fix".....

The best way to secure the loose joints is to remove the legs and backs and sand or scrape out the old glue and reassemble them with epoxy and small wedges.

I did something similar to these Murphy chairs:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/w...s-these-39917/

I used this glue because it's "gap filling" ....?
Tony B likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
gj13us (08-31-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 09:29 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I dread working on furniture people give me to repair after using Gorilla glue in their attempt to fix it.
In a lot of cases of loose joints this works very well where you can't get it completely apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Starbond-Cyan...s%2C162&sr=8-9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-31-2019, 10:36 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post
I dread working on furniture people give me to repair after using Gorilla glue in their attempt to fix it.
In a lot of cases of loose joints this works very well where you can't get it completely apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Starbond-Cyan.../dp/B00C32ME6G
The photo of the "Gorilla" glue above is their somewhat new wood glue. It is a non-foaming, water-resistant PVA glue. I have not used it, but the specs read somewhat like Titebond II. (I prefer Titebond III.)

The original Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane glue, and is probably the one that you dread.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2019, 04:31 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeared View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Starbond-Cyan...s%2C162&sr=8-9
I don't. I just charge what it will take to repair it properly. Most often, taking time and care, it can take an hour just to un-do his handy work. Almost invariably, the cost of repair is way beyond what the piece is worth and so I wont have to deal with it.

If it just happens to be a nice piece, the customer will pay and with a look that goes without saying. Fortunately, that rolled back eyeball look was meant for the hubby and not me.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Follow-up:

I removed the pocket screw, drilled the hole larger and glued a dowel in its place.

I did this on both the left and the right, and so far it's a tight hold.

The next step is to sand and repaint the whole set.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 09:49 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
By the way, do you know that the Gorilla Wood Glue you pictured in the photo is not "gap filling"? Gorilla Wood Glue is an ordinary PVA wood glue, like Titebond II. Wood glue is designed for tight fitting wood to wood joints between well-sanded, smooth, clean pieces of wood. PVA glues are arguably the best for woodworking joinery. Certainly they are the most economical and popular.

Someone else mentioned "Gorilla glue", meaning Gorilla brand's original polyurethane glue, which foams and is somewhat gap filling. It is moisture activated.

The best gap filling adhesive is two-part epoxy.
Tony B likes this.

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 09-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 12:19 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
it appears that it was intended for a wedge and an extra support screw from the side. when repairing, i always try to assess the amount of repair needed. e.g. if that is the only thing loose on the back, i may not remove the entire back for the repair. but if the back is all loose, i take it all apart.

as mentioned, some sanding in the holes and on the tenons, re-glue and re wedge fixes the looseness 99% of the time. i use titebond ii, but i know others like epoxy here.

Last edited by TimPa; 09-16-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-16-2019, 01:47 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
You will soon find out how your repair holds up, if everything is still holding in a year or so you "done good", if not then plan B.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode