Should through mortise/tenon with key be glued? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

View Bluefilosoff's Photo Album My Photos
Should through mortise/tenon with key be glued?

The large trellis table I am building will have through tenons for the stretcher with a keys tapped in horizontally to secure. Should this be glued? If I didn't glue it would that present problems in the future?
The person who I am building it for wanted this change as I had originally designed in wedged tenons for the stretcher.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefilosoff View Post
The large trellis table I am building will have through tenons for the stretcher with a keys tapped in horizontally to secure. Should this be glued? If I didn't glue it would that present problems in the future?
The person who I am building it for wanted this change as I had originally designed in wedged tenons for the stretcher.
Thanks.
Unless you are making the table to be able to be take it apart I would glue all the joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Bluefilosoff (04-12-2015)
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Trellis Table

Blue
When I built a trestle style table, I did not glue the trestle or the pins in place. The trestle table is secured with the pins, but can be disassembled quickly by removing the pins.
I have the two vertical ends removable from the top by punching out two dowels on each end. The two verticals are mortised into the 4" X 5" base at bottom and a thick horizontal attached to the top. This was a copy of an expensive "Harvest" table I saw that liked a lot.
It is one heavy piece, made of 2" red oak.
I have disassembled it once to take out while we installed a new kitchen floor. It breaks down quickly into 4 pieces. Still takes two people to carry the top.
So all that being said, it is a matter of personal preference to glue the trestle in place or not.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
Bluefilosoff (04-13-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode