Router Bit Options for Drawers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

View MrZ2u's Photo Album My Photos
Router Bit Options for Drawers

Just for making drawers and nothing else and as an alternative to dovetail or box joints as a time saving measure. Might be from 11 layer Baltic Birch ply or solid Pine board.

Considering pros and cons of three different bits. With any of the three I would purchase the setup block.

Looks like it would do a good job. Do one vertical and one horizontal and your done. Except you need to make several passes so this one seems to be the most prone for errors of the three and also the one that would take the most time as a result.

Less gluing surface but also single passes.

And lastly, not intended for this purpose but couldn’t one just make a pass vertical and one horizontal to get a 90 and then also have a bit for another purpose?

Your thoughts? Any personal experience with this specific task and one of these bits?

"Nobody knows everything. Nobody even knows everything about any one thing. And most of us don't know much." P. J. O'Rourke

"Spare the duct tape, spoil the job" "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2015, 08:32 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Well, if you are planning on plywood, I wouldn't recommend the lock miter. I had horrendous tearout using that beast on plywood.
The drawer lock isn't a bad choice but, it basically produces a locking rabbet joint which is pretty easy to do with just a straight bit or slot cutter. The exception being if you need to incorporate the overlay into the drawer front, as opposed to a separate drawer front, the drawer lock is likely the logical choice.
Hadn't thought much about using the glue joint bit for corners but don't see why it wouldn't work if the stock is thick enough. I would say 3/4" thick minimum. I don't usually make drawers out of that thick of stock, usually I've found 1/2" plywood substantial enough.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
FrankC (03-05-2015)
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What is your goal? The strongest joint? The joint that takes the least time? Or what?

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The lock miter bit would quickly wear out using it on plywood. It wouldn't cut it very good anyway and is unnecessary. The second bit is better but you would still have the problem with the bit dulling and again is unnecessary. It would be better just to make a complete box out of plywood and then attach a drawer front to it. If you wished what is illustrated in the second picture you could just rabbet the drawer front and glue and nail the drawer side to the front. I have drawers I've made more than 40 years ago that are made in that manor and have never come apart.

The last picture is a glue joint bit. It is intended to be used as illustrated. The idea is the zig zag cut across the edge of the wood increases the surface area to be glued. It's like having the glue joint of a 1" thick board on a 3/4" board by doing it. It also helps force the boards to flatten out together as they are being pulled up in the clamps.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
If you are looking for fast and strong, a sliding dovetail will work.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode