repairing sheared multilayered chair seat - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

View Neill Smith's Photo Album My Photos
repairing sheared multilayered chair seat

Hello, this is a job that I have been swinging alternately between trying to read up on and procrastinating about since christmas. The short version is that I managed to break a chair that is my wifes family heirloom and I just dont know where to begin fixing it. The front section of the seat has an overhang and its partially sheared off the unsupported edge. Add to that the seat is curved and made of a sort of laminate of unknown composition, it might be laminated verniers of wood it might be sheets of man made wood based materials and wood. the worst crack on the left side propagates in to the piece about halfway across.

The seat will be covered with a sheapskin upholstery when fully restored so its only the underside that needs to be cosmetically apealling.

I can see that there needs to be some filler in the larger crack on the lefthand side, and then the whole thing needs to be strengthened somehow to prevent it happening again. The only way i can think of fixing it is by using some kind of resin, perhaps expoxy, force it in to the cracks, I managed to save some of the splinters perhaps i could grind those to dust and sprinkle it on the surface of the resin before clamping to achieve a similar finish.

Then to strengthen the whole peice i thought of 2 options, fiberglass/epoxy the top which will end up under the upholstery or cut another layer of wood/ply, perhaps a 5mm, and glue it on as another layer of lamination.

Any advice as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

pic 1 top side
pic 2 worst crack left side
pic 3 underside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_153343.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	375533  

Name:	20190520_153352.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	375535  

Name:	20190520_153356_002.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	375537  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 06:10 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
that "multi-layer" stuff is plywood. the glue has dried out. old glues dry out . . . .
you could separate all the layers into individual plys, scrape, clean, re-glue with an epoxy glue, mega-detailed press required to re-glue....

or, get a chunk of 5 ply furniture grade plywood - what 5/8" thick? - and make a new seat.

okay, it's not the same wood fibers.... I get it. I've tried that on heirlooms from the 40's. not pretty, did not work in the end.
it's not going to be visible - so go with a sound solution for the next 100 years.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You didn't do that, it was waiting to happen. It was probably stored someplace not climate controlled like a garage or attic.

For the fix use a slow drying epoxy glue. Use something thin like an old cheap butcher knife and work glue under the veneer and clamp it. Do it a little at a time so the glue won't set up prematurely before you can get it clamped. Since the places where it needs to be clamped is way back from the edge you might purchase a welding clamp or two to get the middle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	welding clamp.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	375575  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

View Neill Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Apologies for the long delay in replying, its been hectic here. Thank you both for your advice, and the pep talk about dodging the blame :) I think I'll go with the slow epoxy method, I've got some experience with it from fixing surfboards I've ridden over rocks. I already have one of those clamps from having to...... weld another heirloom that broke.... so that was lucky?

Kind regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode