Rails & stiles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

View landman's Photo Album My Photos
Rails & stiles

Two questions:
  1. How much extra length does one allow to the rail blank to achieve a predetermined width with the stiles added?
  2. Does one run the rails & stiles through the bit in one pass or successive passes of increasing depth?

Regards, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
Two questions:
  1. How much extra length does one allow to the rail blank to achieve a predetermined width with the stiles added?
  2. Does one run the rails & stiles through the bit in one pass or successive passes of increasing depth?
That would vary depending on your style and rail knives. You just have to cut a rail to a determined size and run the coping and sticking and see what you come up with. The width of the blank stile material plays into it also. I made a chart for mine with the stile material varying from 2 1/8" to 3" wide. For example if the finished size of the door is 12" wide I subtract 3 1/8" for the size of the rail with 2 1/8" stile material. The door actually ends up 12 1/8" wide but I run it through a shaper which puts a profile on the edge of it and that takes 1/16" off all four sides finishing it to 12" wide.

For the most part I run the sticking in one pass but I use a shaper instead of a router.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
landman (03-31-2014)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 PM

View dustmagnet's Photo Album My Photos
Here's one of many calculators online. Depends on material whether it's one pass or multiple on the router table, on the shaper it's all done in one pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 PM

View dustmagnet's Photo Album My Photos
If I put the link up it would probably work better.......one of those days........http://www.hingmy.com/cabinetcalc2.php
The Following User Says Thank You to dustmagnet For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (03-31-2014)
post #5 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM

I wonder if the door calculator is made for the cabinet door set they sell. I tried it with my tooling and came up with a door 1/8" wider than it should be.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
It's not all that complicated.

The stiles are the vertical size of the door. Consider overlay or inset in your measurement.

The rails have to account for the part that is mortised into the stile. First measure the horizontal opening for the door. Consider overlay or inset in your measurement. Subtract double the width of the stile from this measurement. This is almost the length of the rail.

Measure from the bearing surface to the out most cutter on the stile router bit. Double that measurement and add that to the length of the rail determined above. In all probability this measurement is 7/16" and when doubled is 7/8".

If you are doing inset doors, you'll probably want to add 1/8" to both the horizontal and vertical measurements. That way you can trim the doors on the table saw for an exact fit.

BTW - I doubt that you'll ever find a "perfect" rail and stile router bit set. When you look at the joint of the rail into the stile there will be a small gap of the stub tenon. (1/128" or so) It's just the way that the bits are made. If the stub tenon were 1/128" long, the gap would be on the front of the door. I think that sets for a shaper are made to a tighter tolerance.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I wonder if the door calculator is made for the cabinet door set they sell. I tried it with my tooling and came up with a door 1/8" wider than it should be.
One or two passes across the jointer oughtta fix that, huh?
Better than being short.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
One or two passes across the jointer oughtta fix that, huh?
Better than being short.
I don't know what the difference is in the calculator. My tooling makes the tenons go further into the stile than the exposed sticking. This should make the door undersized but instead it's oversized. Anyway I don't go by the opening size to determine the door parts. Often you have a pair of doors to cover an opening so I work off the finished door size.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
Lots of good advice.
Consider making the rail or stile blanks a bit wide and cutting to final width after the routing. Not very practical if making a lot of doors or using expensive wood.
Helpful perhaps when starting or unsure of the final dimension of the door.
. Woods that tend to splinter like oak are best cut in a few passes. Same thing for woods that tend to burn like cherry or maple. Smooth steady feed at the right/optimal speed takes a bit of practice.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

View landman's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone for all the good points. I ended up measuring the depth pf the groove in my test stick and adding that twice to the length of the rail and it came out bang on. Happy Easter everyone.

Regards, Pat
post #11 of 11 Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
Thanks everyone for all the good points. I ended up measuring the depth pf the groove in my test stick and adding that twice to the length of the rail and it came out bang on. Happy Easter everyone.
+1. That's basically it. No sense making it more involved than it is. Each set of bits will produce certain results. All that's necessary is to run a sample and see what the bits leave. From that, it's easy to figure out the width of the door (joints + rail length + stile width).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode